holy cow...lighting is WIERD....

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

is this friggin wierd or what?

yes
36%
nope, perfectly normal
18%
buhatkj is a wienerhead
45%

Total votes: 11

buhatkj

holy cow...lighting is WIERD....

Post by buhatkj »

ok if i disable lighting in all my materiels, by setting EMF_LIGHTING to false, in directx mode, my framerate goes from 76 to _776_, a 700fps increase!!! however, in opengl mode, it remains EXACTLY THE SAME! _WIERD_
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
keless

Post by keless »

on my box at home (win2k, 400mhz, voodoo3, OGL+DX) the lighting is weird-- its only dark directly in front and at a distance away from the camera. It almost looks like a brightly lit room where you've got a flashlight that instead of shinning light, shines darkness.

Meanwhile, this doesnt happen with the same code on any other box I try it on. (This is why lighting is an option in IrrLichtRPG)
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
niko
Site Admin

Re: holy cow...lighting is WIERD....

Post by niko »

buhatkj wrote:ok if i disable lighting in all my materiels, by setting EMF_LIGHTING to false, in directx mode, my framerate goes from 76 to _776_, a 700fps increase!!!
wow, are you using old 3d hardware? and how many lights did you use?
buhatkj

one light, gf4-ti4200

Post by buhatkj »

this was on my home machine, i havent been back to work yet so i didnt try it out there yet. my home box is a celeron 2.2ghz with 640 mb DDR and a geforce 4 ti4200. its not the latest or greatest but it's pretty darn good i think. i had only one light, its code was this:

Code: Select all

smgr->addLightSceneNode(0, core::vector3df(0,600,0),
		video::SColorf(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f),
		600.0f);
which i had intended to place a light with radius 600, 600 units up over the center of the level.

what i did, was i commented this out, then set

Code: Select all

node->setMaterialFlag(EMF_LIGHTING, false);
in the level, the animated md2 i am loading, and the two static ms3d boxes i am loading as well.

what gets me most of all is that it makes this huge difference in directx but not OGL?
was i doing anything wierd here? one thing i might note is that i have the directx 9.0b SDK installed on my PC, not directx 8, which is what irrlicht was made withi think.

also i wonder, niko did you do any kind of optimization for any particular 3d accelerator in your code or anything?? is that even necessary to take advantage of a 3d accelerator? i would think a celeron 2.2 is fast enough to prolly make 76fps even running directx or opengl in software....heh or am i totally outta my mind heh
lemme know!
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net