is it possible to take models from 3d studio max?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
albeth

is it possible to take models from 3d studio max?

Post by albeth »

Hi

I think the title good tell the question. I'm new in 3d prgramtaion and i now good this soft so i want to now if it is possible to take 3d models from this log.

Thanks for your answers

P.S. : I'm not english so sorry... :D
maybe i can do it, maybe i can't
WromthraX

Post by WromthraX »

If your question is about loading files made in 3d studio max (*.3ds) into Irrlich engine, yes it is possible. I use that myself. You can find the code in the first tutorial.
albeth

Post by albeth »

Ok I know hox to take a file in a prog but my 3dmax file a .max.So i have a stupid question, hox can i have .3ds?

Thanks for help to a realy beginer
jugurdzija

he he

Post by jugurdzija »

File->Export->(choose format you want,in max it is 3ds)
or
File->Export Selected (this will export current selection into 3ds)
WromthraX

Post by WromthraX »

In 3D Studio Max under the File menu u have an option Export, go there and Export your model or scene in .3ds format.
albeth

Post by albeth »

Thanks, i'm realy stupid...I spear it will change

tchao
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Also Make sure when exporting max files that your texture or maps does not have bump mapping check in the material manager and if you use a map that it is a jpg.

I spent forever trying to figure out why irrlicht kept crashing on startup.

I have also had better luck with using the export selected option than just export.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I`m new to irrlicht and 3ds max too and i`m facing weird problem when trying to load simple box (.3ds file) and render it to screen. All that is drawn is flat plane (zero height) with the texture applied to it. I`ve asked one of my friends who is more familiar with 3ds max what could be wrong and tried few things he succested but it doesn`t help, he thinks that there must be something wrong with my code.

As far i`m concerned, my code works fine with sample .3ds file that i found from someone elses irrlicht project. Code has been nearly directly taken from the 1 irrlicht tutorial.
exal

Post by exal »

Are you sure that it's flat? It might just be that since you have lighting turned off it appears flat. If there are no textures then the object might appear flat. try spinning it around slowly in a loop. That might give you an idea if the object really is flat.

Post by Guest »

exal wrote:Are you sure that it's flat? It might just be that since you have lighting turned off it appears flat. If there are no textures then the object might appear flat. try spinning it around slowly in a loop. That might give you an idea if the object really is flat.
Yes i`ve rotated it, with and without lights and it stays flat eg. no sides are drawn. Weird as it is, the sample i mentioned shows correctly. I`ve tried loading sphere and it shows about 1/4 of the top. I know that i`m doing something incorrectly but i have no idea what.
exal

Post by exal »

Have you triangulated your object before exporting? Welded vertices and stuff like that are not well liked by importers and 3D engines.

Post by Guest »

exal wrote:Have you triangulated your object before exporting? Welded vertices and stuff like that are not well liked by importers and 3D engines.
Well i got it working fine when using Anim8or, simply imported the .3ds file from 3ds max 6 to Anim8or and exported it again back.

Could you explain more about this triangulation process, all i`ve found about welding in 3ds max help was about how to change the value of welding. no option for disabling it, nor for anything related to triangulation.

As like we in Finland say "vaanna rautalangasta".