MD2 Frames Question

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
TheSpektor

MD2 Frames Question

Post by TheSpektor »

Hi, all. I just picked up irrlicht and started messing around with it and am excited to start creating with it. I have decided to use .md2 as my model of choice as I am familiar with the format and there seems to be alot of support for it in the documentation. There is however something that struck me as rather odd. I noticed that in the the tutorial the frameloop is looping frames 0 to 310 to play the standard Quake2 stand animation. However when I open the model in a model editor (Q2mdlr) The stand animation goes from frame 0 to 39. Does anyone have an explaination for this? I have searched the forum and have found nothing. Any feedback appreciated.
hardgeus

Post by hardgeus »

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but I do know that in several file formats, there is not a 1:1 ratio between frames in the original file and the resulting frames in Irrlicht. I have no idea why this is, but I have seen it in several different animations. On the positive side, it does seem to be consistent for a given file format, so you can just hardcode a scaling factor for your expected frame positions once you figure out the exact ratio.
Warchief

Post by Warchief »

Think there was a 8 multiplier somewhere.
TheSpektor

Post by TheSpektor »

Oh, ok that makes sense then. Thanks.