MMORPG walking/path finding for terrains

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Blake

MMORPG walking/path finding for terrains

Post by Blake »

How would i go about having a mesh, and each square representing a coordinant?

and when a play clicks:EG, Player1 is on 1,1(coords) and wants to move to 2,4(coords) it finds the quickest path, and then moves off.
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

try googeling "a-star", A* etc...
fabs

Post by fabs »

I found nothing (Me and Blake are in the same room lol); nor did blake. Could you kindly give me a direct URL?
t0mmy

Post by t0mmy »

hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

fabs wrote:I found nothing (Me and Blake are in the same room lol); nor did blake. Could you kindly give me a direct URL?
I got about 4 million results with 'astar path finding' - do you want to be funny :?
Blake

Post by Blake »

XD, i googled a*, as a string or math function fo working out tiles lol, thanks
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

if i were you, i´d stop thinking about making an mmorpg for at least several years ...
stodge

Post by stodge »

You want to write an MMPOG yet you don't even know how to use Google? Are you trying to be funny? :roll:
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

Ahhh... but google and Irrlicht/C++ are etirely different monsters :P *sarcasm*
pushpork
Blake

Post by Blake »

True, lol, i did google google,and found nothing, hats why i asked :P
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Excuse the rabble, but mockery is your average response to beginners who want to make a mmorpg. everyone in this thread knows that to make any kind of mmo you're gonna need a large team of experienced developers (who would know all about a* pathfinding, or if they didn't, would be too embarrassed to ask for a direct link). you'll need someone with good management skills (coordinating a team of 20+ people is a full-time job), a huge budget (you need to buy/rent dedicated servers) and a lot of time (3-4 years, maybe more).
you also might find a hint of hatred too, because mmorpg projects lure all the naive but talented artists (which are in very short supply) away from our realistic but modest projects, only to fade away with nothing to show for all their hard work, resulting in countless wasted hours of time for everyone involved.
I suggest you split the task into several (5 or more) smaller games, one simple fps with static object but collision, pathfinding and loadable zones, another with animated characters and weapon/clothes upgrades, then a small rpg with a scripting engine and decent audio, then introduce a network element. at each stage you'll probably have to rewrite most of your code using all the things you've learned in the steps before, but at least you'll have some games to show for it.
Once you've got that far you'll be a master of searching google, plus you'll have earned all of our respect and a reputation for designing, planning and writing games. also you'll know enough not to attempt a mmorpg unless you're really, really serious about it.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
fabs

Post by fabs »

Well, we're out to disprove that.
fabs

Post by fabs »

Also, A* does NOT tell me where the hell i clicked on a mesh!
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

being the mmorpg expert that you are, you won't be needing the likes of myself to tell you to read the collision example will you?
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

fabs wrote:Also, A* does NOT tell me where the hell i clicked on a mesh!
if you are not able to find that out, how do you wanna make a mmorpg ...

forget about it, learn proper c++ and irrlicht first.

btw: you need a coordinate system for A* in a grid.