unstickification

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
bitplane
Admin

unstickification

Post by bitplane »

I'm unstickying the project posts in here.. Its a burdon to have to decide who gets stickied and who doesn't, and the future problem of having a page and a half of stickies then having to decide who gets removed and when, with potential hard feelings either way.
I think it's more democratic to have the order of the threads to be decided by the last post to that thread, at least it then reflects the current amount of interest in the topic at any given time.
flames and comments welcome below :)
Last edited by bitplane on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

I think it's a good idea. I was really irritated by all these stickies.
andrei25ni

Post by andrei25ni »

My game was sticky for just a week :? .

I guess it's better this way . :D
Yeurl

Post by Yeurl »

sticky permit to have in one eye the best project of this section and permit to have less time to search them here

With your idea the best project could be lost ... get the sticky back ;)
JP

Post by JP »

I definetly think it's better with the nonstickyness as it was a bit annoying having to scroll down half the page to get to topics with new posts as most of the stickied ones weren't getting posts anymore, and as you say, as time goes by more and more topics would get stickied so there would be pages of them meaning that new projects would probably get ignored or hard to find.
Image Image Image
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Great idea!

I didn't like stickys posts, because I always had to roll down with scrollbar to see some new projects and stuff.

Besides I think sticky means that something is worth looking but in cause of often updates.

Maybe some already good or promising projects should have some sort of icon next to them ?
Emil_halim

Post by Emil_halim »

im my own opinion collect the sticky projectes in a separate page,this way the navegater has not a hafe page of stickys and at the same time any one could reach to any good project in easy way.
drac_gd

Post by drac_gd »

My 2 cents. I like it better without the stickies but how about one sticky that is a links to a page that lists all the projects/homepages etc? I think this would be a good way for begginers to get source code to look through etc:)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

cool, thanks bitplane. I initially stickied some of the threads that already had 3-4 pages of posts, but then it started to become difficult to handle.

I even thought of moving threads that reach the 3 page count to a separate forum called "most active projects" or something like that. This way we can separate projects that are just emerging from those with a long background here. Dunno, let me know what you guys think. :wink:
Electron

Post by Electron »

I think we have enough forums here, no more please
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
RapchikProgrammer

Post by RapchikProgrammer »

Its a LOT better widout da stickies firstly! And secondly in ma opinion there should be a page which has the links to all the threads of the good projects! I think that way it would be much more organised!
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I'm glad the general feeling is that it's a good idea to remove the stickies, everyone on irc seemed to agree, and with more and more projects arriving all the time it would be difficult to keep the forum clean without offending/annoying people.
I suggest we maintain some kind of index thread (or maybe wiki page, when it's back up again) for each category - media tools, programming tools/api's, games, and code submissions.
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Yeurl

Post by Yeurl »

why not making an sub forum where the big project could be found ??

I know that it s possible with phpbb and i think that s it could be a solution for the sticky problem
GueZt_Coders

Post by GueZt_Coders »

As posted at open discuussion: It will be nice if there should be a
separate forum for the ff:

1. Tools Project
2. Game Project

Besides most of the previous sticky threads are tools projects.

From the TOOLS PROJECT sticking may not be required because
every newbies will try to read the thread that will be suited for
thier GAME PROJECT, and an active TOOLS PROJECT will be
on topmost automatically if it is active thread and in development.
I believed some of the project is not really an irrlicht or made
with irrlicht it is a tools for irrlicht made from other resources.
Just part of irrlicht related project| CLEAR CODE NOTATIONS IS LARGELY SELF CODUMENTING!
anoki

Post by anoki »

Thanks !
It was hard to navigate with all the stickies.