Getting model from Blender to Irrlicht

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
counter123

Getting model from Blender to Irrlicht

Post by counter123 »

Hi,

I'd like to create models with Blender and then use them in my Irrlicht-Engine-based game. However, there are several export formats in Blender which are supported by Irrlicht, too. (for example .X and .3ds and .obj)

Which of these formats is recommended? Which one will keep the converted model as close to the original as possible? I've tried some different ways (sometimes converting to some format with blender, then converting to some other format with milkshape3d). Some ways didn't work at all, some worked quite well, but I never managed to preserve my UV texture. Is there some tutorial how to get textured models from Blender to Irrlicht without losing anything?

Thanks for any help.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

There have been several long postings on this topic. Please do a search on the forums. You will have to use the latest bug fixes for Irrlicht, though, to get better support of all features of the file formats.
Pazystamo

Post by Pazystamo »

I use .x exported from gmax or blender and then resave with mview (from directx SDK) it allways worked!
My project in forum- ATMOsphere - new dynamic sky dome for Irrlicht
counter123

Post by counter123 »

Pazystamo wrote:I use .x exported from gmax or blender and then resave with mview (from directx SDK) it allways worked!
Thanks, this seems to work reasonably well, at least if you choose the right export options in blender.

There's still something strange: When I do setMaterialFlag(EMF_LIGHTING,true); the Texture disappears and the model seems to be all white. With lighting disabled it looks fine. The material type is EMT_SOLID.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Try exporting normals as well, or let Irrlicht calculate them. Also with latest .x loader you can skip the intermediate conversion with the dxviewer inmost cases.