bsp files ?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
needforhint

bsp files ?

Post by needforhint »

I just started some learning about them (bsp files), but if anyone could speed that procces, I would be thankfull. This is the problem... I can't load .bsp files in irrlicht. I get console errors "uknown header" or "format unsupported", I use irrlicht 1.0 and I have my code correct (I tried also the tutorial code too with just a different .bsp file :cry: ). I can load only pk3 files, and I can't even be sure about that, because I've loaded only one pk3 file in my life, the irrlicht media one. So, the second, I installed myself a GTK radiant and I can't load bsp files in it too, only *map, *mapx and *reg. So I really wonder now :idea:
what is this thing...
Vuen

Post by Vuen »

Which BSP files in particular are you trying to load?
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

what is this thing...
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

Oh you have Half Life 2 .bsp map hmm I use gtk radiant with quake III and every map I make loads 100% correctly.

Maybe you should use Quake 3 .bsp ?

As I remember right only q3 bsp's are supported. HL 2 bsp won't run with irrlicht. (I think HL 2 maps have kinda diffrent texturing method, because they use materials for textures including some surface information for physics and stuff)

Correct me If I'm wrong, but HL 2 bsp won't run I think.
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

thanks dawasw, you are right.

But now I seem to load pk3 files with no problem, but I can't load a bsp file "stand alone" . I tried also the irrlicht q3 bsp file from unzipped pk3 to load stand alone, but to no avail. What is a bsp file? Does it contain textures or only geometry?
what is this thing...
sh1ny

Post by sh1ny »

needforhint wrote:thanks dawasw, you are right.

But now I seem to load pk3 files with no problem, but I can't load a bsp file "stand alone" . I tried also the irrlicht q3 bsp file from unzipped pk3 to load stand alone, but to no avail. What is a bsp file? Does it contain textures or only geometry?
Well it contains geometry with reference to textures, but the textures are stored separately. Example

somemap.pk3
- Maps/
----somemap.pk3
-Textures/
----texture.tga
dawasw

Post by dawasw »

somemap.pk3
- Maps/
----somemap.pk3
-Textures/
----texture.tga
Sh1ny sorry but a little correct :P :

somemap.pk3
- Maps/
----somemap.bsp
-Textures/
----texture.tga

That means you have 2 folders in a .pk3 file the 'map' folder and the 'textures' folder. Map folder should have .bsp file (compiled by gtk radiant) and textures folder should have only JPG files of textures - because If I remember right Irrlicht .bsp loader won't load tga textures of .bsp map file.
sh1ny

Post by sh1ny »

<--- l33t typeor..err typoer :oops:
needforhint

Post by needforhint »

thank you, that's what I needed to know
what is this thing...