Made a B3D Loader

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
juliusctw

reading your source code

Post by juliusctw »

hello luke

i have been reading your CAnimatedMeshB3d.cpp file , i was looking for the location where you apply the UV map to the mesh, i found where you load the texture , but i didn't see how you apply the UVmapping,

i tried to use setMaterialTexture to the scenenode but the whole thing gets set to that texture, how do you set a UV map only to the area you want?
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Juliusctw:

God news
just a quick question, why is the mesh rotated 90 degrees when loaded into irrlicht??
It the exporters fault, I just haven’t got around to fixing it yet.

i have been reading your CAnimatedMeshB3d.cpp file , i was looking for the location where you apply the UV map to the mesh, i found where you load the texture , but i didn't see how you apply the UVmapping,
I’m not sure why you want this but it’s in the loading of the vertices.

i tried to use setMaterialTexture to the scenenode but the whole thing gets set to that texture, how do you set a UV map only to the area you want?
Try:

Node->getMaterialCount()

Node->getMaterial(2)

You could go:
Node ->getMaterial(6).Texture1=WhatEver;

And it should only affect that node.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

hi luke

detected that it wont happen with your viewer, only it flips the torso material in Ultimate unwrap..

hmmm..or texture..

me thinks...

a lot....

hey, it's tga textures.
lol
wont it be the so much known issue of where it's set the coords origin inside the TGA file?

In irrlicht it happened. here it happens when I try to show in U3d. Seems your viewer wont read that chunk of the tga, or that the material settings, not the tga, or vertex texture coords (Not UVs! as uvs are exactly as I see in blender in u3d !)

-Tga file internals (Gimp(win or linux) can set the origin in other way in save dialog, but Adobe, not that I know.)

-material setting somewhere
-vertex asigned texture somewhere.In obj, they were like VT coords, not actually the UVs.

Imo is one of thos ethings, but could be wrong.

Julius, an advice: allways weld te neck to the torso.

Also, yup, never mirror bones, it makes internal weird things once exported to game formats...

the rotated thingie of the exporter..maybe as Blender has Z pointing up, different to most systems...

Luke, gonna send you the blender file. Is actually Julius model with 3 materials.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

hmmm...no reason on what I said about tgas...the tgas are ok anyway, is smething else.

It may change the origin of it at loading time, dunno.
juliusctw

it was my fault

Post by juliusctw »

hello

about the animation problem, i redid it with no mirror, and it seems to work fine, it was definitely on my part, ( the tutorials told me to use mirrors)

there was one thing i noticed though, (not that big a deal) but my animate was backwards, i animated my right arm, but in irrlicht left arm was animated, any reasons???? simple fix?

Also , remember the idea you had with having a pointer to an invisible skeleton and all other characters would follow its animation.. With that, do I just animate the skeleton from blender and export it as B3d without a mesh???? , i can then read in later in irrlicht and use it to animate other characters.

@ vermeer

yeah, you are absolutely right about the mirror, As for the head being attached , what you guys have is still not the final product, i still have a lot of work that will go into the girl once i have everything set.
vermeer

Re: it was my fault

Post by vermeer »

juliusctw wrote:hello

about the animation problem, i redid it with no mirror, and it seems to work fine, it was definitely on my part, ( the tutorials told me to use mirrors)
Not ur fault. not the tuts' fault either. Blender is majorly heading to hi res stuff since allways. So, this is the kind of things that wont be said.

there was one thing i noticed though, (not that big a deal) but my animate was backwards, i animated my right arm, but in irrlicht left arm was animated, any reasons???? simple fix?
A flip. Some of th eplugins Iused could flip the coordinate system, I think...when bones and weights and stuff , animation in the middle, weird stuff canhappen with a flip...but I know at loader or exporter code, can be done if done well.

Anyway, is an extra feature.

Check first if can flip it some other way: ie: with your code inside irrlicht. So to not bug with this to Luke ;)
If code can fix that inside irrlicht, way to go.
Also , remember the idea you had with having a pointer to an invisible skeleton and all other characters would follow its animation..
That idea can have allways the whole of weights. They must be weighted very equally, and the proportions, human types veeeery similar.Or weird stuff, as your women would deform like if they had a bigger arm, diffeent hips, etc. If skeletons are the same , yup, but that's not really so, neithe rthe way a woman and a man walk.

U could do simply a basic man and a basic woman...and animate em both, and then yup, one for all men, one for all women. But that's two sets, not one.
With that, do I just animate the skeleton from blender and export it as B3d without a mesh???? , i can then read in later in irrlicht and use it to animate other characters.
yup, provided at least what I mentioned.

@ vermeer

yeah, you are absolutely right about the mirror, As for the head being attached , what you guys have is still not the final product, i still have a lot of work that will go into the girl once i have everything set.
Ok, no worries, huge progress for a coder starting from zero :)

i mentioned in case u didnt know, as that withe anim and weights can be a pain.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

vermeer:

Strange, the TGA's in unwrap3d, some of them are flipping, but others are fine. I don't think it could be the b3d file causing them to flip, what happens if you try converting to different image format?

I look into it, when I can.

Juliusctw:
This is strange, I’ll have a look, hopeful fixing this fixes the other animation/mesh deforming problems to.

With that, do I just animate the skeleton from blender and export it as B3d without a mesh???? , i can then read in later in irrlicht and use it to animate other characters.
You can but I recommend keeping the mesh until you are releasing the game as you won’t save that much memory and it will probably make it harder for you while you are still working on it.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

ok, it's actually an Unwrap3d prob of when loading the tga.

Not actually a prob of it..as happens between many software, who knows which treats it in the standard way...

The tga's origin can be fixed really easy with Gimp for windows or linux.

Is just that, am pretty sure.

Funny is not all the tgas.

Onlt the torso one gave this prob.

So...maybe the toso tga was saved witha different software or in a different way.

tested with bmps, and all seen nice at Unwrap3d.

When I happen to have this I just flip the tga, call me lazy ;)
perfect thing is to do the save as with origin how u want it with gimp.

One thing more...beware, as...

well.. it maybe possible that(one of these options):

-unwrap 3d "remembers" an old file when drag and dropping a new one if has the same name

-The exporter doesnt fully overwrite in all the length of the file or smething over a equally named file, tho it updates as new file, it becomes newer and old.

-there's no "real" overwrite

-very possible: indeed, it happens. Even if u changed the texture in texture slot of the material in blender, is not taking in export time for some reason... It was taking the tga all th etime not th ebmp of the slot...
reasons...maybe is internally linked and I should have deleted all stuff...or what I did finally...just did hit again tab for edit mode, and reasigned the already asigned material, but now with the bmp in texture slot. Maybe it just store th etexture info but does not update till you reasign in edit buttos, in edit mode. And...surely, in VERTICES, not in FACES. At least seems so for the exporter.

So, great.

It's all freaking perfect and is not an issue of any sort of your project.

The mirroring of whole character, saying hello with right hand instead of...

er....dont call me simple, but there was in x files something called "left handed system" and right handed system...bad info of it would produce terrible problems...but I think was different of a flip, which in several plugins can be done even in a bone and weights format with check of a box....

can be then the change of a left handed system to a right handed system or all the way round...cause is actually changing that in u3d too (where it also shows weights problems, but besides the known viewport glitch at U3d, this must be ...Julius highway to Bledner Learning ;) No pun intended, julius :) probably the mirror of bones can be hurting here...hmm.

hmm..

wait, luke dont run into another coding session.
I'm gonna see now with a clean raw test of mine.
juliusctw

hello friends

Post by juliusctw »

hello

i just performed my last animation test, no mirrors and no weird stuff with the complete walking cycle, it worked perfectly, the animation, the texture, everything worked,,,,,,,

you did it luke . :D

you did what I thought was impossible just 2 months ago, (exporting something useful from blender into irrlicht)

you are such a gift for the irrlicht community, i cannot thank you enough. :)

ok, i wasn't too serious with making the models before , i just wanted to get something working so i know what to do and not to do with the models, i am now ( well when my hands are better with this carpal stuff) i'm gonna "try" to produce better quality models, aka , hopefully lower polygon and still the same look.

now sure when my hands will be completely better again, but i'll do the best i can.

thank you again luke :D
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Thats good news juliusctw, and thanks

I’ll see if you or Vermeer find anymore mistakes/missing features, make the mesh export on the right angle, and probably fix some other things. Then I might get some more people to test it, or maybe release a beta. I should probably tell the people at the blitz basic forums too...
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

beware, at blitz forums it's and old cry..some may try even to kiss you... ;)

congrats :)

I'll see of finally making that final test, been quite busy...

but seems was as I was suspecting,a matter on how did julius did the rig.. (no pun... ;) )

As I guessed, all seems fine.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Sent an update to the gmail,

-Meshes should be rotated right but don’t trust me on that.

-Fixed a bug that caused crashes on some meshes
jacky

Post by jacky »

Luke, one question:
What do you think, when will we see this functionality in an official irrlicht release?
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

Jacky:
What do you think, when will we see this functionality in an official irrlicht release?

Sorry, what functionality do you mean, the b3d loader in the official irrlicht release, and the b3d exporter is not part of irrlicht. Are you talking about the joint control thing?
juliusctw

in next release of irrlicht

Post by juliusctw »

you can already load b3d files in irrlicht, but you currently won't have the joint control until the next irrlicht relase, when that will be? i have no clue.

as for the exporter, irrlicht will probably add it into the tools section along with omarie's x exporter and the font creator.

I am hoping to sqeez a couple more methods into the b3d loader in irrlicht before the next release, but that's wholly up to Luke's availability.