Few Questions about Irrlicht before get started.

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
As-12

Few Questions about Irrlicht before get started.

Post by As-12 »

I have a basic knowledgement of OpenGL. But I havn't learn it all.
Now I got project to finish in Game Programming So I found Irrilicht and interesting in it.
The problems are
- Can I use Irrlicht with OpenGL ? If I can where should I put my
OpenGL animation codes with Irrlicht engine.
- How can I able to develope Irrlicht on Win32 Application ?
I tried on VC++ 6. But I failed with few errors.

Nothing else that I wonder.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Basically Irrlicht is an abstraction layer on top of OpenGL and DirectX which allows to do all the stuff without being forced to use any of the lower-level functions. Just work with vertices, meshes, textures, and so on and your app will run both on OpenGL and DirectX on all platforms supported (Windows, Linux, MacOSX). If you need a special OpenGL function which is not yet supported by Irrlicht you can also mix OpenGL code with Irrlicht code (though being restricted to OpenGL only then). This requires good knowledge of OpenGL, of course, because you have to be careful to not mess with the rest of Irrlicht. But it's certainly possible.
Using MSVC++6 is possible, though not recommended as there are much better compilers for Windows. If you must you can read the tutorial on setting up MSVC++6 and ask questions if you fail (don't forget to describe your problem completely with all information available). It definitely works!
Cezaro

Post by Cezaro »

if You need compiler
You can get Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition from Micro$oft
is supposedly free and is good for irrlicht...