Why to choice IrrLicht?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
Hobitz

Why to choice IrrLicht?

Post by Hobitz »

Hi to all,
i have a litlle philosophical question - why do you people choose to use directly IrrLicht, not other open source engine, what makes it better than others? This question also makes sense for publicity of IrLicht engine but me interest directly that what is the motivation of use this product? I hope to your true opinions. Thanx! :arrow:
bappy

Post by bappy »

like the way it do...

and irrlicht is young, so there is not to much to learn, and the api is well document...

instead of having an engine like ogre wich have more graphic stuff like bump etc... i prefer spending time to develop my project base code (like object manager, light manager, entity loader, making plug to max to use irrlicht etc) and in the meantime, irrlicht is going better , so when i will have finish my project code base, i will have the graphical option that i need implemented in irrlicht...instead of having lot of stuff to learn..
-----------------------------
Sans danger, pas de gloire...
http;//bappy.free.fr
-----------------------------
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I am an artist. For the support of graphic formats I did read in the feature list..also the engine features. I don't know nothing about it, but at least I know more or less what the coders used in games I've been working at.
deps

Post by deps »

Irrlicht is open source too, isn't it? The sources is included in the download at least. And if i remember correctly niko will allow more developers when irrlicht reaches 1.0.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

My #1 reason that I started using it was that the API was DOCUMENTED, and documented well.

I tried several others that were so bogged down in gibberish instructions for usage, only had a function list(not what the functions actually did) or didn't even have doc at all.

Others made you do things like create your own screen graph handling in order to get any performance or hid the objects into so much obfucation that you couldn't access them to do any outside of the engine handling.
Crud, how do I do this again?
Hobitz

Post by Hobitz »

Ok, its great documented, i agree! And when i was start it it was take a ten minits to build my first demo program, the simlicity for using it is fantastic, but is that all? We all hope to future evolution of Irr?
Tope

Post by Tope »

A big advantage over other engines is its liberal license
Luke923

Post by Luke923 »

For me, the answer is simple - the API is clean. Even if Irrlicht wasn't as documented, it's still highly intuitive compared to say OGRE.
"Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad idea which could only have originated in California."
- E.W. Dijkstra
Serg Nechaeff

Post by Serg Nechaeff »

I've been checking 3d engines this week:
Torque - 100$+ royalties, the license said your game can only be published via GarageGames. What kind of crap is that? I dont mean they cannot be trusted, I just personally dont like that.
Ogre - free, slow as hell on my old i815 card even with dx7 device (it suxx for me, I am targeting users with low-end hardware).
GameStudio A6 - back to the future, suprisingly weak demos. 899$ is a bit too much for that.
NeoEngine - free, I liked the engine, but I (and other people) had awful problems with ogl renderer. Very good impression indeed.
Blitz3D - 79$, yeaaah! that's the thing! but a bit updated, because the author is working on another next-generation compiler.
Apocalyx - free, a good source of nice ogl code. Not mature enough for a seriuos project though.
CatMother - free, DX9, claimed to be good but no docs and no community.
Truevision - downloading at the moment, I hope it is good :)
Irrlicht - fast and furious! Editor's choice. Great docs, pretty large community. Stable enough. That is why I ve chosen it for my project - a 3d space turn-based strategy. Thanks to the author, Niko!
http://www.javazing.com
P-III-950, WinXP, GeForce FX5600 128 MB ForceWare 52.16, DX9, Eclipse IDE, JRE 1.6

Post by Guest »

Serg Nechaeff wrote:I've been checking 3d engines this week:
Torque - 100$+ royalties, the license said your game can only be published via GarageGames. What kind of crap is that? I dont mean they cannot be trusted, I just personally dont like that.
Ogre - free, slow as hell on my old i815 card even with dx7 device (it suxx for me, I am targeting users with low-end hardware).
GameStudio A6 - back to the future, suprisingly weak demos. 899$ is a bit too much for that.
NeoEngine - free, I liked the engine, but I (and other people) had awful problems with ogl renderer. Very good impression indeed.
Blitz3D - 79$, yeaaah! that's the thing! but a bit updated, because the author is working on another next-generation compiler.
Apocalyx - free, a good source of nice ogl code. Not mature enough for a seriuos project though.
CatMother - free, DX9, claimed to be good but no docs and no community.
Truevision - downloading at the moment, I hope it is good :)
Irrlicht - fast and furious! Editor's choice. Great docs, pretty large community. Stable enough. That is why I ve chosen it for my project - a 3d space turn-based strategy. Thanks to the author, Niko!
Oh god not again. Did you read the Torque license properly? You pay $100 to license the source code. You only pay $10k to GarageGames if your company's revenue, or your publisher's revenue, is greater than 500k.

Also, I'm 99.9% sure you don't have to publish with GarageGames.

I'd trust the guys at GG more than I trust anyone else.

Post by Guest »

Oh and I wouldn't personally call Irrlicht "fast and furious". IMO, Irrlicht has the slowest rendering engine of all those you mentioned, but that can only improve with time.
Serg Nechaeff

Post by Serg Nechaeff »

ok, my bad, sorry for wrong info about torque.
IMO, Irrlicht has the slowest rendering engine of all those you mentioned, but that can only improve with time.
yep, i know blitz is much faster :)
P-III-950, WinXP, GeForce FX5600 128 MB ForceWare 52.16, DX9, Eclipse IDE, JRE 1.6

Post by Guest »

i am a 3dgs user and have to defend it a little! :)

first of all there isn't only the 899$ edition. the cheaper editions are nice too and with some free 3rd party plugins you almost have the same features as with the pro edition.

i agree that most demos are weak. it's a big marketing flaw that conitec solely relies on demos provided by its customers. i know from my personal experience that better things can be achieved with 3dgs.

in my opinion the biggest disadvantage of 3dgs is that only quake style csg level geometry is supported. i think this is very outdated!

now the good things about 3dgs:

it isn't only a 3d-engine but a complete game framework. it comes with a quite good level editor and a modeling/animation tool comparable to milkshape. the compiled c-script language is easy to use yet powerful (i am not really a programmer and c++ is out of my scope).

i haven't found anything like it in the open source world?

maybe once www.ping.net is ready or venom has matured or i had the time to learn c++ i will change to something free but for now 3dgs is the right solution for me!
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

yep, i know blitz is much faster
Are u sure of that??
Serg Nechaeff

Post by Serg Nechaeff »

Code: Select all

Are u sure of that?? 
If I was sure of that I wouldnt have put the smilie in :)

Code: Select all

i am a 3dgs user and have to defend it a little!  
Thanks for the info!