RTS game help - selecting units

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
esaptonor

RTS game help - selecting units

Post by esaptonor »

I have looked around and i am not sure how i am ment to do this.

i think i should have a unit class, and it looks after all data etc including its Scene node, but how should i 'select' it?
I so far think i should be getting the scene node with getSceneNodeFromScreenCoordinatesBB method, but how do i get the unit class from that so i can make its selected variable true?

i hope that was clear enough to understand,
esaptonor
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

I've done something similar, although it was easier for me because I only have a few selectable "things".

Give each unit a unique ID. When you make a scene node, pass the units ID as the scene node ID.

Then when the user selects a unit, you can find out what node they are selecting (using getSceneNodeFromScreenCoordinatesBB() like you said). Get this node's ID, and then you can figure out what unit has been selected. I suggest you write a helper function like "getUnitFromNodeID()" that returns a pointer to the unit.

I guess because it's an RTS you would want to select a number of units, so you could use the same concept but put everything in linked lists or an array. I don't know how you would use getSceneNodeFromScreenCoordinatesBB to get all of the nodes over an area though.

One other thing, notice how you can apply a bitmask to the getSceneNodeFromScreenCoordinatesBB? Basically, I gave all of the nodes that can't be selected (trees, ground, cucumbers) an ID below 0xFF, and all selectable objects an ID above 0xFF, so that I could use this bitmask to just get back stuff from getSceneNodeFromScreenCoordinatesBB() that could be selected.

Hope this helps.
esaptonor

Post by esaptonor »

thanks, that helps heaps, i was wondering what that bitmask was for!

what do you suggest occurs with finding out if the unit is an enemy or not? would i have to go all the way from the node to the unit class and check what side its on? or could it be done with the bitmask?
esaptonor

Post by esaptonor »

I think i have most of it sorted out, but i have no idea how that bitmask works. If all my units have IDs between 5000 and 10000 how do i make it only able to select them?
tried various numbers, but since i dont know how it works, i dont know how to make it work.
jam

Post by jam »

Not sure if this will help you, but it was a good thread about bitmask's.

Link
system-independent, adj.:
Works equally poorly on all systems.
-- unknown