quick question

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.

quick question

Post by Guest »

is GTKRadiant different to Q3Radiant?
keless

Post by keless »

slightly.

What I vaguely remember from 3 years ago (you should look this up if you want solid facts):

radiant was the official in-house tool for q2 (based on the one for q1). its source was published, and a team began working on an enhanced version for the public comunity, called qeRadiant. (e = enhanced, i think). After a while they wanted it to be cross-platform, so they moved it from using win32 windows to using GTK windows.. and now you can play with it on both Win32 and Linux (and OSX).
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

I finally figured out that name change thing.

I didn't realize until recently that GTK was a cross platform window thingie and that is why a lot of project will start with GTK*.

Kind of like Win* (WinMUD, WinAmp, WinReg) or Java (JUnit, JGraph, JMUD)
Crud, how do I do this again?

Post by Guest »

so you still need an installed copy of Quake 3 then ?
keless

Post by keless »

you do NOT need Q3 to use GTKRadiant.

However, you may need lots of texures and other resources, which are installed with Q3. (Though GTKRadiant does come with some basic stuff of its own).

Also, you'll need something outside of the editor that can actually let you run/play a .bsp level to see if its working. (Of course, if you're writing a game that loads .bsp, you can simply use that.)
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS