PNG support in the pipeline?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
damocles

PNG support in the pipeline?

Post by damocles »

Is PNG support in the pipeline for image loading? If not, would it be possible to load textures manually into memory and then let irrlicht create the texture objects from memory data?
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

PNG support is not planned, but easy to add from external. And if you want to create it from memory, use VideoDriver::addTexture.http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/cl ... er.html#a8
stampsm

Post by stampsm »

niko didn't rt already do a png loader?
wouldn't it be easy to just slip it into the next release
that would allow us to have a easy to use picture format that has transparency
rt, if you read this is there any way you can transfer your code over to niko so that he can slip it into the next release
rt

Post by rt »

i already did post the code which loads .png's into irrlicht, and i've been using it myself for a month now :)

you can find it in this thread http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... .php?t=517

it needs a bit of touching up by someone who knows the engine a bit better, but it works.
rt

Post by rt »

It seems that no one is using the .png loader code :oops: the alpha blending alone is reason enough to choose it over bmp or jpeg. has anyone tried to add it to their project? am i the only one who uses alpha channels/blending with my images?
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

Sounds like it might be just what I need for my decal sprites: )