antialiasing

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
man!

antialiasing

Post by man! »

Does irrlicht have antialiasing system and is it possible to make levels&objects with anim8or or are the level&object editors free?

Post by Guest »

and is it possible to make fulscreen games? all the screenshots were non-fullscreen so... I am sorry about stupid questions but i even cant download irrlicht (I have 56k ant the filesize is 10mb so...) to try. hmm. i have to visit my friend and ask him to download it coz he have dsl
deps

Post by deps »

No support for antialiasing (afaik).
Fullscreen is possible.
Don't know about anim8or, but there are some others. gtkradiant, blender, milkshape3d (not free, but cheap) and some others.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

About Anim8or, I am pretty sure I saw a thread a while back where niko said he was not going to concentrate on Anim8or level/file loading. I can't seem to find it or I would link to it.
keless

Post by keless »

I remember the same thing. He basically said: stick with .x
a screen cap is worth 0x100000 DWORDS
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

That's right, I'd like to use .x as primary file format.
About antialiasing: Yesterday I bought a new gfx-adapter which supports all the standard, cool stuff which my old one didn't, so support for things like fullsceen-antialias can be expected, but I cannot say in which release yet.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

hey Niko,

... seems there's actually a problem, and not a matter of plugins settings...I made Panda Exporter work well with the dx sdk viewers, as well as view in them also animations from chracter fx and ultimate unwrap.

Or the BAPPY's viewer (do you have it? if not, Bappy , please, send to him to...) has some very serious problems, or the x format has some problems.

As I am basing for all this in the result seen in his viewer. I have solved all plugin and conversions issues and posted the list of settings of Panda. If the issue in irlitch (if really it is) is solved, I think I have ironed all the panda x exporter problems.

I can't do more, since is from this point a matter of the engine...if i am not wrong.

My latest "conlcussions" in a short paragraph here :

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... =8224#8224

And yep, x file is the way to go :

-bones and full implementation of weights
-spline interpolation
-acces bones by code (imagine the variety. you handle an arm rotation by code, reuse the torso an darm animations in a running animation (voilà, fire-while-running animation...etc))
-mixing smoothly several anims thanks to this
-smoothing info
-materials info (cool for several effects)
-vertex colors (extra tiny lighting effects)
-good shading
-export in lw, maya, max, cfx, (ugh, even milkshape), xsi, hash AM, (soon maybe Blender..)
-etc,etc

imho

...and excuse me for filling of so much words these forums with my dx paragraphs... ;)
man!

Post by man! »

so i need to make my lvl&obj-files to .x But where i can get program to make .x files? (does the x mean directx, so are the editors commercial??) And anim8or can export .3ds and .obj files. I saw somewhere in faq that those files are accepted. Is it true? And is it possible to make animated objects and use them in irrlicht games?

Post by Guest »

and how could i make particle emitters in my games?
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

ok...

I stablish a difference between just loading a mesh object and loading an animated character.

Irllitch supports 3ds and milkshape also...I rather prefer milkshape format for objects. Indeed , I use milkshape only for a final fix of my objects or adding smooth groups. But I never use it for character animation.

That said, i don't know if milkshape irliticth issue is for loading mesh objects, or just keletal problems. If mesh loading is fine. You could use milhsape format too. Anyway, x file is very good for objects, too. So , somoe tools for converting static objects to x formats (these don't support bones nor weights)

Someone..seem to have yet a link of a really old 3d explorer version which works for md3 format. It also may work for x files. This version is not time limited as was their policy before getting more comercial. Is a very old one :

http://www.dsmith.gmaxsupport.com/downl ... lor1_5.exe

and othe rconverter. I tell you, tgis converts 3ds to x. So neithe rit support bones an all. just for objects.
www.3drad.com/download/winconv3ds.zip

oh, winconv3ds does export animation, but I suppose, is linked hierarchies, separate objects linked. Good for robots, machines...
Havent tested, but seems it works.

that version of 3d explorer, I dunno.

at last, also a way to convert towards xfile (but is for non comercial use only...btw, is impossible to purcahse outside japan...)

say no to download the font, and scroll the page. The version that export static dx objects is Metasequoia LE 2.1

http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~mizno/main_e.html
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Here's a slightly off topic request: Is AA for 2D images ( e.g. GUI ) something that could be considered for future versions? If not, does someone know where I could find out how to do it? My images I am using have very sharp edges, and since I can't use the same alpha effects as Photoshop I can't really do anything about it.
deps

Post by deps »

You CAN use the same alpha effects as Photoshop, if there is support for it in Irrlicht. :)
Dont know if irrlicht supports alpha layers.
TGA have support for alpha channels. And PNG, but Irrlicht can't load PNG for the moment.
The development page also says irrlicht got support for PSD files. Isn't that the default photoshop format?
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

yep,is adobe Ps one.(it was till recently one of my main tools at work)

but psd is quite featured...i expect it surely only loads the bitmap, smashed all in a layer...

PSD supports everything. Alpha channels, etc...

and is quite smaller than bmp or tif...
even than tga, maybe..

but legal issues, probably...
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Well, I couldn't even see the image when I loaded the PSD image, possibly only loaded the first or last layer, I'm not sure, either way I can't get the range of semi-transparent pixels I need. Is there a file format in Irr that supports this? I sure ain't had no luck finding it.
deps

Post by deps »

Try TGA. It's not 100% inplemented into irrlicht yet, but maybe the alpha channel work.
You may also need to change the material to use the alpha channel.