DirectX 9 compared with DirectX 10 in pictures

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
andrei25ni

DirectX 9 compared with DirectX 10 in pictures

Post by andrei25ni »

Have a look at these pics (hover mouse over image) :

http://www.istartedsomething.com/200608 ... -fabulous/

What a big difference!
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Wow :shock:
sRc

Post by sRc »

the fish example was in the DX10 preview in one of the recent DX9 SDKs...

the fish is pretty ugly :lol: :lol: :lol:

but it does do a very good job of showing the capability of the new geometry shader :shock:
The Bard sRc

Blog | Twitter
jam

Post by jam »

Although the DX10 images are nice, It still is not enough to convince me to buy a new graphics card and the Vista OS. I think I'll wait til they roll out some good games.
Last edited by jam on Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
system-independent, adj.:
Works equally poorly on all systems.
-- unknown
zeno60

Post by zeno60 »

I'll wait till rollover images can spray out money and not just pretty images. :lol:
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

I honestly don't get it. You can make stuff that looks like that in DX9 and even yet, in OpenGL. You just need good artwork and some cool shader effects.

Also, I don't think the information on that link is entirely accurate at all. There's even a disclaimer saying none of this information can be verified.
noreg

Post by noreg »

I honestly don't get it. You can make stuff that looks like that in DX9 and even yet, in OpenGL. You just need good artwork and some cool shader effects.
FULL ACK Spintz!

Will DX10 need some major improvements to make people buy VIsta?
Err, you will hardly get any other OS on new PC's once it's out.
Luke
Admin

Post by Luke »

I agree with Spintz,

From site:
There is no structural changes between the two images; except only lighting, weather effects and the water. Infact, the reflection and refraction of mountains in the water didn’t even change, just the water texture.
The only difference between the images is the lighting, weather effects and the water, you could easily render than image in DirectX 9 or OpenGL, the comparison is not fair at all.
DeusXL

Post by DeusXL »

I agree with Spintz and jam, I played to Oblivion on my Ubuntu and I can tell that I won't buy another video card and OS just because *some say* it is *better*
(hey, I'm an artist !)
Irrlicht .NET complete and Cross Platform Wrapper
The kid on my avatar wrote:A painless lesson is one without any meaning
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

DeusXL wrote:I agree with Spintz and jam, I played to Oblivion on my Ubuntu and I can tell that I won't buy another video card and OS just because *some say* it is *better*
(hey, I'm an artist !)

nice pic :D and hey, i agree to you guys, too!

i´ve seen better pictures of dx9 terrain and water (example: bnw 2, or gamedev.net gallery pictures) and that weird crappy guy vs. the crysis heads (which im sure can be also rendered in dx9, doesnt crysis have dx9 and dx10 mode?) is no fair comparison.

see you!
DeusXL

Post by DeusXL »

More than the fact that you could make that with OpenGL or DirectX9 (and a brain unfortunately), there is no proof that the image did not take 10 hours to be rendered and even with a video, I would not believe enough to buy a video card and an OS $300...
For me, the only picture of the article that *can be* *perhaps* serious is the fish but it is not the most *impressive*...

Moreover, Microsoft's playing a dangerous game (I think they don't remember what was DirectPlay) by forcing people to buy a new card and a new Operating System whereas everyone knows that games using well DirectX 10 won't come soon... I guess that, when you own 95% of computers systems and perhaps more of gaming system, this is a avoided risk.

PS :
http://irrlichtnetcp.sourceforge.net/index.php/DefectX
:roll:
Irrlicht .NET complete and Cross Platform Wrapper
The kid on my avatar wrote:A painless lesson is one without any meaning
RhavoX

Post by RhavoX »

Those pics are not convincing at all. And the comparison between human faces just sucks :P. What is shown on that web page as a dx 10 work is just some photos of human faces and a little photoshop usage :). Well if I'll live long enough maybe I'll see any difference with my own eyes on my own pc :P
Teh Uber-Pwner xD
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

The fish seems to have vertex texture displacement... or just a higher poly mesh

YAWN :roll:
Electron

Post by Electron »

Yeah, looks like displacement mapping on one fish and not on the other. Do they think displacement mapping isn't already possible?
You do a lot of programming? Really? I try to get some in, but the debugging keeps me pretty busy.

Crucible of Stars
jam

Post by jam »

Well it seems the first picture is an artist's rendition
system-independent, adj.:
Works equally poorly on all systems.
-- unknown