DirectX in DevCPP

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
n00b

DirectX in DevCPP

Post by n00b »

Hi
I was wondering if any1 can help me with directx on devcpp.
i already installed the devpack but it still wont work.
So now, wot do i do?
Thanks
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

I downloaded a few days ago an Irrlicht 1.1 DX Dll for DevCPP. It works ok for me.

I don't know where I downloaded it, but if you give me an email adress, I'll send it to you.
Zar

Post by Zar »

See this topic on how to setup the DEV-C++ to compile Irrlicht engine and to use the DirectX version:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... torder=asc

I suggest you read all post in that topic, because some parameters in the first tutorial has changed.
Amt0571 wrote:I downloaded a few days ago an Irrlicht 1.1 DX Dll for DevCPP. It works ok for me.

I don't know where I downloaded it, but if you give me an email adress, I'll send it to you.
here is the link, posted on the last message of the previous mentioned topic

http://www.gprogs.com/gg.Irrlicht/IrrDX_v1_1.zip
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

Sorry... I think I found my dll on an italian forum or something like that, but I was not able to find it.

I think this dll is quite useful for the people who are unable to compile it with DirectX support. Why is not already included with irrlicht?
n00b

Post by n00b »

Thanks guys.
boboS

Post by boboS »

As your ship is going down
ll stand by and watch you drown
gfxstyler

Post by gfxstyler »

good work on the search bobos :)

to the other guys:

you dont need directx dev packages, you can use the original microsoft directx sdk, follow these steps:

1. download the dx sdk
2. download the mingw compiler + tools (you already have that if you have installed devc++)
3. set your PATH in the windows-evironment-variables to include the path to your mingw folder (if you have devc++ installed this is already done for you)

4. now install/uncompress the directx sdk
5. browse to the directxsdk/lib folder where the libraries are located (maybe directx/lib/x86/ )
6. copy the two tools dlltool.exe and reimp.exe (from mingw/bin or devcpp/mingw/bin) over to the previous directx lib folder
7. open up a terminal, browse to the directx library folder, and type this for each .lib file in the folder:

Code: Select all

reimp -c filename.lib
example:

reimp -c d3dx9.lib
now that you have done that for all library files, type this into the terminal:

del *.lib
to delete all .lib files, so you just have the .a files.

now create a directxsdk folder somewhere on your harddisk. create the subfolders directxsdk/lib and directxsdk/include.

now do this:
1. copy the files in the original directx sdk´s include folder (directx/include) to your new directx sdk`s include folder.

2. repeat that step for the libs (copy from old directxsdk/lib to the new directxsdk/lib)

OPTIONAL:

also create folders for the examples/documentation/samples and tools/utilities and copy those files over to your new directx sdk folder, so you can maybe look into that files for learning dx stuff.

OPTIONAL:
compress the whole folder as directxsdk-[sdk version]-mingw

example:

directxsdk-jul2006-mingw.tar.bz2
with an archiver of your choice.

post-steps:
1. open up your dev-c++
2. go the the global compiler settings
3. add the directxsdk/lib of your new directxsdk to the lib path
4. add the directxsdk/include of your new directxsdk to the include path

done!

now you never have to bother with that stuff again :)
and you can also upload the file so other users wont have to go through that hassle again.

i already have done this, so if you want to have the files i can upload them (the problem is, i have made myself a nice mingw package with the latest mingw and many converted libs such as glew/glut/sdl/sdl_*/directx/nvidiacg and a few others, and i dont know which exactly files belong to which lib (even if i could sort it out).

that means, if you want that package you have to download about 30-40 mb :/

if you have any questions, feel free to ask me or join #irrlicht at irc.freenode.net

see you!

ps: i hope i didnt do any typing mistakes or so because im kinda in a hurry, im cooking noodle stuff right now :D

EDIT:

the advantage of this method is that you dont need to use the directx dlls (include them with the rest of your application) like you have to do with the dev-package (at least i didnt have to as i coded a little directx app) :) thats a plus

also i want to point out that this method works with any other .lib stuff in general (except maybe some static .lib because you can already use those with mingw)
n00b

Post by n00b »

sorry to bump this really old thread but i just need a little help with REIMP.
when i use it on smaller .lib files, it works fine.
But when i use it with larger .lib files, the produced file is not a .a file but millions of .000, .001, .002 etc, files. Anyone know why?

Btw, i dont need these .a files badly because i already use the ones from the DevPack, but it's nice to know how to do it.
Acki

Post by Acki »

Simply use my IrrExensions !!! ;)
You don't need to add any of my extensions if you don't want to, but it sets up the project files for Dev, CodeBlocks and MSVC for recompiling the engine...
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
n00b

Post by n00b »

i know how to recompile the engine.
what i dont know is why reimp.exe wont turn large .lib files into .a files.

I'll try your IrrExtensions anyway. i think there's a new version out, am i right?

i've tried it a long time ago and it didnt work.