vanilla irrlicht.net wrapper vs DuesXL wrapper

Irrlicht.Net is no longer developed or supported, Irrlicht.Net Cross Platform is a much more complete wrapper. Please ask your C# related questions on their forums first.
grunt

vanilla irrlicht.net wrapper vs DuesXL wrapper

Post by grunt »

How much more different is the coding structure from the vanilla wrapper to DuesXL's? Would I be able to take code directly from the irrlicht.net wrapper and have it compile with none or minor changes in the DuesXL wrapper?

I notice a lot of stuff still isnt implemented in the irrlicht.net wrapper. I am trying to write the gui, and i have to live with those ugly buttons because there does not exist a settexture method for the iguibutton.
DeusXL

Post by DeusXL »

Already answered a smiliar question :
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=15221

Actually, porting from one to another is not very easy because there are special .NET naming conventions in my wrapper whereas the names in Irrlicht.NET are directly taken from a C++ code.
Depending on the size of your code, it should take between a couple of hours and couple of days.

PS : The coding structure of Irrlicht .NET CP is exactly the same as in Irrlicht native, as I said, just the names are modified.
Irrlicht .NET complete and Cross Platform Wrapper
The kid on my avatar wrote:A painless lesson is one without any meaning
grunt

Post by grunt »

Deus:

i downloaded the dlls from the svn repository. My app compiles fine, but I get a bad image format exception. I have 2.0 as well. So the irrlicht.net dll is corrupt on the svn? Is there another dll I can reference or something. Or what from the svn can I download to get it to work on vb 2005 express?

Thanks Much
grunt

Post by grunt »

nm, i found the sdk and the right dlls.
DeusXL

Post by DeusXL »

BLiTZWiNG

Post by BLiTZWiNG »

Is this wrapper more complete than Niko's ?
grunt

Post by grunt »

much more complete.
cederron

Post by cederron »

One thing I have found is that Deus wrapper does not work with c++/cli while official wrapper works flawless.
I wish this could be fixed in Deus wrapper but I have not the time & knowledge of the .net platform to do that.
DeusXL

Post by DeusXL »

This is pretty weird because C++/CLI or any .NET language accept any .NET library.

BTW, did you use Visual Studio 2003 (.NET 1.1) or 2005 (.NET 2.0) ? Because libraries are provided for .NET 2.0 only.

PS : Isn't working with Irrlicht .NET and C++ a bit weird ? Why don't you work with native Irrlicht OR with a real .NET language ? Because C++/CLI is really heavy and not good enough to be used in real projects (apart from porting projects).
cederron

Post by cederron »

DeusXL wrote:This is pretty weird because C++/CLI or any .NET language accept any .NET library.

BTW, did you use Visual Studio 2003 (.NET 1.1) or 2005 (.NET 2.0) ? Because libraries are provided for .NET 2.0 only.

PS : Isn't working with Irrlicht .NET and C++ a bit weird ? Why don't you work with native Irrlicht OR with a real .NET language ? Because C++/CLI is really heavy and not good enough to be used in real projects (apart from porting projects).
I use Visual Studio 2005.
I'm using .net irrlicht libraries because i'm writting an application that must be highly customizable, through scripts. I have found normal users of my application will have some basic knowledge of c# or vb but almost none about python or c++. Also I will use the xml, multithreading, etc. libraries of .net .
I have chosen c++/cli over other .net language because it's the only language i can program in, I don't know much about c# or vb.net, I can mix native c++ with managed and also translating existing c++ code to c++/cli is a breeze, for example I have translated a code that writes bitmap fonts to a texture, writing directly to the texture buffer, to c++/cli in a couple of minutes.
cederron

Post by cederron »

DeusXL wrote:This is pretty weird because C++/CLI or any .NET language accept any .NET library.

I have just figured out that is really pointless use any net irrlicht wrapper with c++/cli, because in c++/cli you can use native c++ classes, just work with the c++ classes !
Anyway, I think it's, at least, strange that your wrapper doesn't work in c++/cli, because it should...