UML Software?

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
shurijo

UML Software?

Post by shurijo »

At work, I normally use UML Pad (free and small, but doesn't reverse engineer code to create diagrams). Anyone know any good free UML authoring software that works with C++ to automatically create the intial diagrams?

thanks
deps

Post by deps »

Pretty new to all this UML things, so far i have only heard about "Poseidon for UML". The community version is free but can only export to JAVA. Not sure if it can create diagrams from source.

But you said that UML Pad was unable to reverse engineer code to create diagrams, is it possible to generate code FROM the diagrams?
That would be sweet. :)
shurijo

Post by shurijo »

UML Pad can't do that (I don't think, I'll check it out tomorrow), but I know other software that can. Well, it just produces the .h files, etc. I think even Visio can produce Java header files, I haven't checked if it can make C++ headers too.

You can download UML Pad from download.com for free, if you want to check it out. Its pretty simple, you guys could probably make one using Irrlicht...
deps

Post by deps »

Ok. tried it. Looks nice. :)
A lot of nice looking green rectangles with some nice lines connecting some of them. Now i would want one that's as easy to use as UML Pad but with the "export to c++" feature. :) (Can't find anything like that in UML Pad.)

That poseidon thingy was a bit too confusing for me. But i only tried it for a couple of minutes. And i dont program in Java, so... :P :)
hearsedriver

Post by hearsedriver »

Our UML tool of choice is Enterprise Architect. A trial version is available at http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/ . But I must admit that I don't do any CA modelling for my C++ code - I prefer an XP like approach for my spare time projects -, and use the Omondo UML plugin for Eclipse when it comes to Java.

Cheers.
matthias gall, lead programmer at sechsta sinn - email matthias@sechsta-sinn.de
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

I searched for such a tool (free/opensource) long time ago, but I did not find one either. I'd like to have a tool which is easy to use, able to draw more than just class diagrams and be able to convert code into diagrams and vice versa. There seems not to be any free software like this. Already thought of creating it by myself. :))
I am currently using http://umlsculptor.sourceforge.net/, it is a very simple editor. But useful.
saigumi

Post by saigumi »

Unfortunately, Visio is not free. It's UML conversion is nice and links into Visual C++.

I can't remember if it does code output or if I'm getting it confused with something like Rose.
Crud, how do I do this again?
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

srry for saying a nonsense, but Eve was a free software for making vector graphics of that type. Well , diagrams and that. Free.

I doubt it can output code...svg, maybe.

Also is sodipodi, but that's more like an open source Illustrator (vectorial based too, anyway)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I hardly understand a coders thread, but maybe this paragraph meets what you're searching for?

"EVE is being used to design/ model code and to teach programming. Here are examples from David Topham, Ocsimize Colin and Norbert Marouschek. code_design.zip (54K)."
tstuefe

Post by tstuefe »

A very good tool IMHO is the enterprise architect.
http://www.sparxsystems.com.au

It is not free, but very reasonable priced compared with the competition and especially if you think of what that tool can do for you.

I use it at work and at home for source code engineering, mainly for class diagrams and automatic C++ code generation.
schick

uml editor

Post by schick »

http://argouml.tigris.org

Poseidon is based on argouml as far as i know. Its written in java, can export code at least to c++ and java (plugin). But in fact it is pretty powerful so you may need to work yourself into it.

edited: Hehe, i forgot the most important thingy, its free :-).
stodge

Post by stodge »

Poseidon is VERY heavyweight. When I installed it at work, it took 50-60Mb before I tried any modelling. With a basic model (I mean BASIC) it took over 90Mb of memory. I found it slow as well, though this was a P3-800 with an average graphics card. ArgoUML seems ok, though it has some rendering glitches. Stick with the stable release of ArgoUML as the beta release is somewhat dodgy.
thesmileman

Post by thesmileman »

Rational Rose is a great program (May just be called Rational now that IBM bought it). It will general C, C++, COBAL, .NET, JAVA and several other languages. It also works on unix machines(or at least it used to). I have worked with it before and it is fantastic!

I do not think you can afford it, I sure can't. My school had several copies installed and I used it for some really complicated projects and it got me going fast on both projects. Maybe your school has a copy you could "Evaluate"
patlecat

Post by patlecat »

Poseidon is not much of use in the CommunityEdition to us, since only the Pro Edition outputs C++ code etc.. ArgoUML development has dramatically slowed down since Poseidon lifted off, but they just got a new version out on 1st march.

I used Together and some others but most were either too heavy and complicated or too light. I found ClassBuilder to be a good in-between for this. It's free and usually gets regular updates. You can also output code from it. But I wouldn't reuse the code in ClassBuilder. Let CB output code, then cut & paste it to your code and you're safe. I guess the developer is working on the newest UML2 standard now. I just did a refresher and update seminar on UML2. It's nice :lol:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/classbuilder

Greetz, pat le uml-pro