Performance and polycount (again)

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Amt0571

Performance and polycount (again)

Post by Amt0571 »

Hello,

A few weeks ago I posted a thread about performance issues with irrlicht and "high" polycounts. The original thread is this http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... erformance

Well, I couldn't try anything until yesterday, since my 6600GT decided to die, and I had tu buy a new card.

I have finally received an X800XT (which is more powerful) and still get the same frame rate as with the 6600GT in my irrlicht scene.

I have also noticed that CPU usage goes up to 100% constantly when I'm running my application. I think this is strange since I'm not using any physics (except basic collision detection) or anything which requires such a high computing power.

I have also tried to group the meshes which use the same material as Hybrid suggested in the other thread, but the performance still remains the same.

Any suggestion of what may be happening?

Thanks!
Valtras

Post by Valtras »

100% constantly when I'm running my application.
It's normal... any game use a while loop as main loop and it is executing constantly...
Any suggestion of what may be happening?
VSync turned on?
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

Ok, I didn't know that the while loop caused the CPU to ramp up to 100% in any case.

I have vsync turned off. I still think it's a CPU limitation, because if I underclock the CPU, it goes slower, and the graphics card does not seem to make much of a difference (as long as its a decent one).

I was going to try NVPerfHud the day my 6600GT died... is there any similar tool for ATi cards? I have been unable to find anything similar.

Thanks!
JP

Post by JP »

If you don't want the game to use 100% processor then just stick a sleep() statement at the end of your while loop and it will then allow other processes to run.
Image Image Image
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

I placed the sleep() statement and it tells me the function is undeclared. I have been googling a bit and I found someone who told that this function is "obsolete"?

Thanks
Strong99
Admin

Post by Strong99 »

You have to set Sleep(x) with an value for example Sleep(1) to sleep 1 millisec, for Sleep() you need (for windows) window.h
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

Thanks! I'll try it!
CodeDog

Post by CodeDog »

#include <windows.h> // for Sleep()

If you are using Irrlicht and Win32.
3ddev

One more thing...

Post by 3ddev »

Make sure you include:

Code: Select all

#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
before you include <windows.h>. I got a whole line of errors when I forgot about this!
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

I didn't include this and it worked just by including windows.h.

Anyway, It still sucks most of the CPU, and the performance problem is still there.
xtheagonyscenex

Post by xtheagonyscenex »

there a ocing tool for ati called atitool
BUT BEWARE I FRIED 9600 XT BY TWEAKING THE MEMORY TIMINGS
and ocing a new card voids the warranty
anyway thats just me go for it :(
"Held in Your arms but too far from my heart." "These thoughts will carry me through the darkest nights...while your eyes rest in mine."
"How quickly I forget that this is meaningless."
Amt0571

Post by Amt0571 »

What I would like is to improve performance without overclocking anything :p