breakable object

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Yeurl

breakable object

Post by Yeurl »

Hi there,

i woukd like to know how could i modelise a 3d scene that i could break, with for example a Gun.

By the way, i don't search a physic engine or other, but just the way for how represent into a 3d level tool. ( i m currently use GTKRadiant for having a pk3 at the final).

If there is a guy or more to help me , i will be HAPPY ah ah ah ;)

Thx
Lideln

Post by Lideln »

Hi !

Im a noob, but waiting for another answer... Here is mine.
A simple idea could be to model the object you wish to "explode".
Then, seperate it in several objects (in your 3D modeler), export each object, and then in the game, lets say you have a function to draw your object.
If the object isn't break, then the different object parts have to be placed properly to fake a "solid" object.
When you break it, simply move every part wherever you want (for that, a physics engine could help).

I know its a very simple idea, but it should work.

But as I said, wait for other answers because Im noob and I dont think my solution is the best you can hear :wink:

++
--
Lideln, France
stodge

Post by stodge »

Create one complete model and several models for the broken object.

While the object is whole render the complete single model.

When the object breaks, quickly replace the complete single model with the broken models, arranged so they look like the complete model. In subsequent redraws move the broken models in some fashion to simulate the object breaking.
What does the debugger tell you? You did use the debugger, didn't you?
JP

Post by JP »

Whilst being shown round some games companies i saw some modellers working on things like tables that could be smashed up. They seemed to be modelling it and animating it so that i guess you could run the animation at when it's ready to fall apart.

But i think for Irrlicht at least it would be best to do the things the other guys suggested, depending on what sort of interaction you want with the pieces of the object while it's falling apart or whatever i suppose. If you want to do some physics stuff so like the parts could cause damage or that they'll fall nicely and land on solid objects properly then the other guys things would be best i think.
Image Image Image
Halan

Post by Halan »

lucas arts has some nice real-time calculatin for that in their new games. i couldn close my moth when it was shown to me at the GC 2006

but i think destroying a bsp model could be difficult (if thats what the first poster wanted to do)

greeets,
halan
Yeurl

Post by Yeurl »

alright, thanx for all this tips guy.

I will have a look on all this idea ... to my part i think that the best it s to play
with the physic engine. In m project, we use Physx from Ageia and in some tutorials we have see that we can use this one to do the stuff.

Ass Stoge said, we have also modelise some thing ass a glass ( before and after with animated on ) and it work nice. But the problem consist now to integrate that into a .bsp format based ... or just making a simple Class into the code who will just play that ... again some tests to do their.

Oh, i think you would like to have an idea on what type of project I work on. We ( yes We because I m not alone on this project) currently working on a demo tech based on irrlicht and Physx, and after if this demo sound like good for all the irrlicht community we will maybe make a game on it ( fps , yes i not, based game)... and as i said we work for the community so all our work will be free for all ;)

I will post back here with the result we have, thx for you all ;)