fullscreen doesn´t work with 3d drivers

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
chaoslion

fullscreen doesn´t work with 3d drivers

Post by chaoslion »

Hello,

everytime i try to create a fullscreen device either in dx8/9 or ogl mode,
irrlicht tries to go into fullscreen, changes the resolution but then returns to window mode. If i close the app then an try to restart it in windowed mode, the console says, couldn´t create directx device and if i run it in opengl
the app starts but i got 2 frames in 10 secs!! i already tried to alter the settings like using 32bits instead of 16 or stencil/vsync off but nothing helps..
but the software drivers work both in fs.. what should i do?
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

What graphics card, and what drivers/driver version?
chaoslion

Post by chaoslion »

-win xp
-Ati x800 , latest drivers 8.301.0.0
-dx9.0c

btw: im using the stable irrlicht release..
sio2
Competition winner

Re: fullscreen doesn´t work with 3d drivers

Post by sio2 »

chaoslion wrote:Hello,

everytime i try to create a fullscreen device either in dx8/9 or ogl mode,
irrlicht tries to go into fullscreen, changes the resolution but then returns to window mode. If i close the app then an try to restart it in windowed mode, the console says, couldn´t create directx device and if i run it in opengl
the app starts but i got 2 frames in 10 secs!! i already tried to alter the settings like using 32bits instead of 16 or stencil/vsync off but nothing helps..
but the software drivers work both in fs.. what should i do?
run the app from a console window that you have started. That way you will see any error messages that are printed in it by Irrlicht.

It appears that the second time you run it (OpenGL), the first aborted run has has not released the device and you're getting software emulation - that would explain 2 frames in 10 seconds.

Something doesn't seem right. Post the messages from the Irrlicht console window and we'll see if there's any clues...

BTW Have you downloaded the latest DirectX updates from Microsoft? If not, it may be an idea to go and get them.
JP

Post by JP »

On some PCs i get 1 or 2 frames a second using OpenGL.. Someone said they solved it by forcing the OpenGL drivers to load before running the program but that was on Linux, i didn't find a way of doing it on Windows. So that would be the software emulation running. But this happens on some pcs whenever you run it, whether you've run it before or not, so surely it's not the device being held up?
Image Image Image
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

JP wrote:On some PCs i get 1 or 2 frames a second using OpenGL.. Someone said they solved it by forcing the OpenGL drivers to load before running the program but that was on Linux, i didn't find a way of doing it on Windows. So that would be the software emulation running. But this happens on some pcs whenever you run it, whether you've run it before or not, so surely it's not the device being held up?
I gave one possibility based on the limited information given. If the OP posts any messages from system/Irrlicht we may be able to track the issue down (then again we may not).

I wrote OpenGL drivers (Windows) for many years. Traking down issues on the myriad of machines out there was not fun. :wink:
chaoslion

Post by chaoslion »

hm strange:
for some reason it is working now, i just reinstalled the latest gfx drivers

the console output was(as far is i remember):
"couldnt create DirectX9/8 device."
i think it was printed two times in the console.
no other errors..

if anyone reports this error, i´d recommend installing the latest drivers, because it seams to work now.. :)
anyways, thank you guys!