OpenGL/DirectX differences...

You discovered a bug in the engine, and you are sure that it is not a problem of your code? Just post it in here. Please read the bug posting guidelines first.
goaty

OpenGL/DirectX differences...

Post by goaty »

It seems that the materials can be changed and are visable on billboards in OpenGL, but it is ineffective in DirectX. Does anyone know why?
shivanraptor

Post by shivanraptor »

for Irrlicht 1.1 , DirectX also cannot show texture correctly .
Irrlicht.NET user
Currently working on:
RPG Turbulence 2
Game Engine Turbulence Engine
metaltailz

Post by metaltailz »

Since we are talking about OpenGL/DirectX differences I will tell you my little encounter

I doubt that it is a bug, but it is a little interesting. When you look at the PerPixelLighting example included in the SDK you have a choice of using normal textures, bit mapping, or parallax mapping. If you choose to look at the parallax mapping in DirectX8/9 you will see that the walls have depth to them, and light reflects off of the individual "bricks" but when you look at it in OpenGL then the bricks have less definition, they stick out less.

I have a feeling it is just how OpenGL and DirectX handles parallax mapping but it is an interesting difference. Take a look sometime.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Well, the parallax problem is a bug, but it's already posted on the bug tracker...
The billboard thing is strange, I thought that these just depend on the usual material settings. Which kind of settings are not visible?