[SOLVED]Post processing shader help

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
LovehinaX

[SOLVED]Post processing shader help

Post by LovehinaX »

I’ve just started experimenting with post processing shaders in IRRLicht, and although there is no tutorial on this, I’ve somehow managed to figure it out...
Now I know how to RTT and then display the texture as a quad (in my case I’m just using driver->draw2DImage), but this is not the issue.
I have two problems.
First, there is no way to set the size of the quad in the texture that RTT is drawing to. Ex. lets say that I have a 512x512 texture, but I only want RTT to draw to a portion of that texture, let’s say 512x384.
My second issue is that IRRLicht won’t let me set a RTT texture bigger than the current resolution. So if my resolution is 800x600, I can’t use a bigger texture than 512x512.

I hope that someone can help me with this. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LovehinaX on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

First, there is no way to set the size of the quad in the texture that RTT is drawing to. Ex. lets say that I have a 512x512 texture, but I only want RTT to draw to a portion of that texture, let’s say 512x384.
You should be able to use a viewport for that. Something like this...

Code: Select all

videoDriver->setRenderTarget(rttTexture);

const core::rect<s32> vp = videoDriver->getViewPort();
videoDriver->setViewPort(core::rect<s32>(0, 0, 512, 384));

// render stuff

videoDriver->setViewPort(vp);
videoDriver->setRenderTarget(0);
My second issue is that IRRLicht won’t let me set a RTT texture bigger than the current resolution. So if my resolution is 800x600, I can’t use a bigger texture than 512x512.
I don't know why this restriction is in place. I've seen the code in the CDirect3D9Driver::setRenderTarget() method, but I'm not sure why it is there.

Travis
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

The limitation is due to restrictions in D3D and OpenGL. You can use frame buffer objects (new in Irrlicht 1.2) for OpenGL. They support arbitrary render target dimensions.
LovehinaX

Post by LovehinaX »

Thanks, that solves the problem for me... :) It looks like Il have to look into OpenGL a bit more...

Thanks again to both of you... ;)