Newyears challenge 2006/2007

Competitions for Irrlicht or 3D in general.
Irrlicht Screenshot of the Month: Winner for January, vote for February, submit for March
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

Spintz, you're missing d3dx9_30.dll from the installer, and sometimes the fire button gets stuck at the beginning of the level.. other than that, pretty cool. :)
whats the soundtrack?

Rambus- I had to shrink down the alien so you can't see her trio anymore.. it didn't fit with the new style :(
here she is in her full glory.

i'm just tidying mine up, adding bonuses and testing the levels and stuff... here's a sample pic for the meantime-
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

Spintz, you're missing d3dx9_30.dll
Nope, you're missing it from you're computer. Update you're DX
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

here's my attempt-

http://bitplane.net/dump/invaders.zip

Use Z, X and Space. Consecutive hits on the same wave increase your multiplier, miss a shot or hit your bases and it resets.
I recommend taking it slow at first and getting the bonuses in, so you're stocked up on extra lives and stuff for when it gets fast.

I thought it started off as an ok idea, but then turned into a great big horrible copy-n-paste-fest as I was too lazy to go back and change things, so please excuse the code.
sgt_pinky

Post by sgt_pinky »

bitplane's entry in cylindrical coordinates excited me the most, lol.
Intellectuals solve problems - geniuses prevent them. -- Einstein
#irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
Rambus

Post by Rambus »

My humble entry:

Irrlicht Invaders

Download Win32 Binary: http://www.g0dsoft.net/invaders/invadersbin.zip
Download Source Code: http://www.g0dsoft.net/invaders/invaderssrc.zip

For the sake of time, some features were left out- I completed the entire game in 3 sittings. I hope you like it- and feel free to use any parts of the source code for- anything. I don't have time to clean most of it up- I'm sorry!

And yes, I made that crapy ship...

Update:
Fixed the streaming sound issue, and added a thrust particle system- The bin version reflects these changes but the src currently does not. When I'm positive this is the final version I will update the source.

Edit: guess not- small glitch with the high score system will mean at least one more build before then end :(
Last edited by Rambus on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
sgt_pinky

Post by sgt_pinky »

@Rambus: Great quality in such a short time!

Wow Armen, you will have a tough job to decide a winner here. I will throw in a few dollars towards your prize if you want. PM me what you had in mind.
Intellectuals solve problems - geniuses prevent them. -- Einstein
#irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

hmm Rambus it's crashing for me, but only in opengl and after I shoot 3 or 4 shots.
I don't think there's any prizes, being a challenge and not a competition, but I'll make sure all entries will star in their own wiki page!
Rambus

Post by Rambus »

Ah I think I found a weird memory leak with the shooting- Didnt bother my main system but my puny laptop crashed after 5-6 minutes. I will go ahead and fix that and upload the changes in the next few days.
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

I've got another update coming up, new graphics, new font, keeps track of player stats like hits per round, misses per round, accuracy per round, total score, etc.

Another day or two...
sudi

Post by sudi »

I had sometime today to add a few things to my entry......maybe u like what u see...

Download
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
RapchikProgrammer

Post by RapchikProgrammer »

When i start your game sudi i get this error:

"The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."
3ddev

Post by 3ddev »

RapchikProgrammer wrote:When i start your game sudi i get this error:

"The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."
A Classic! :) This means you don't have the Visual C++ Version XXXX Distributable. Assuming that Sudi is Visual Studio 2005, you will need this package from Microsoft :arrow: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en :wink:
sudi

Post by sudi »

ok i will recompile it using gcc than it will work for u....just a sec

EDIT:
Ok here it is compiled with gcc so it should work just download the file called SpaceFighters003-gcc.rar ohh u need the media file from the other download.
Download
We're programmers. Programmers are, in their hearts, architects, and the first thing they want to do when they get to a site is to bulldoze the place flat and build something grand. We're not excited by renovation:tinkering,improving,planting flower beds.
RapchikProgrammer

Post by RapchikProgrammer »

Wow, nice work there sudi! The game looks awesome and the coming into the camera particles look awesome! good work!
sudi

Post by sudi »

Ok i did a major update now it looks like a game but unfortunately still missing sounds but that will be the next release.

Download Page