Irrlicht vs Ogre

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

:lol:

Maybe...

Dont forget how easily changed Irrlicht is. I don't think there are as many varieties of ogre as there are for Irrlicht (IrrSpintz, lightfeather, that psp engine, lots of various patches and extensions...).

This is probably for a reason.
rogerborg
Admin

Post by rogerborg »

Truly, Irrlicht is the Christian church(es) of 3D engines.
Please upload candidate patches to the tracker.
Need help now? IRC to #irrlicht on irc.freenode.net
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

rogerborg wrote:Truly, Irrlicht is the Christian church(es) of 3D engines.
It burns all other engines at the stake?
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Phew, glad I'm an atheist then. 8)
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Saturn wrote:Phew, glad I'm an atheist then. 8)
Rocks doesn't it? :D
stodge

Post by stodge »

BlindSide wrote::lol:

Maybe...

Dont forget how easily changed Irrlicht is. I don't think there are as many varieties of ogre as there are for Irrlicht (IrrSpintz, lightfeather, that psp engine, lots of various patches and extensions...).

This is probably for a reason.
That's a good point - I hadn't thought of that. Though there is a good reason - OGRE3D at it's core is solid while Irrlicht still lacks in the rendering area. Compare the projects for OGRE3D and Irrlicht - see the difference?
What does the debugger tell you? You did use the debugger, didn't you?
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

I'm starting to build some Irrlicht eye-candy. Take a look at my website [thanks to Rambus for the free hosting. :D] :
http://sio2.g0dsoft.com.
stodge

Post by stodge »

Fancy eye candy using shaders is all well and good, but Irrlicht's core rendering performance and quality needs significant improvements, maybe even a re-write. A terrible example - I can get 1000fps on the OGRE3D terrain demo, but I can barely maintain 200fps on Irrlicht's, and that's with a smaller terrain. Not scientific I know, and not fair, but worth pointing out.
buhatkj

analysis

Post by buhatkj »

some time ago I read a great analysis based on ease of use, which a guy did exactly the same scene, with the same assets, and saw how long it took him to implement it in several different ways, one of which was using irrlicht. of course, irrlicht got very high marks for its ease of use and powerful API.

perhaps to settle this question of performance we could do the same, scientifically. set up the same series of scenes (to demonstrate different effects), with the same # of polys, and same effects, textures, whatever in several engines, and see if irrlicht really is fundamentally suffering from poor performance. then maybe, we could look at why. till then, much of this is sort of speculation based on the relative performance of this vs. that. it could be we are comparing apples to oranges....
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
stodge

Re: analysis

Post by stodge »

buhatkj wrote:some time ago I read a great analysis based on ease of use, which a guy did exactly the same scene, with the same assets, and saw how long it took him to implement it in several different ways, one of which was using irrlicht. of course, irrlicht got very high marks for its ease of use and powerful API.

perhaps to settle this question of performance we could do the same, scientifically. set up the same series of scenes (to demonstrate different effects), with the same # of polys, and same effects, textures, whatever in several engines, and see if irrlicht really is fundamentally suffering from poor performance. then maybe, we could look at why. till then, much of this is sort of speculation based on the relative performance of this vs. that. it could be we are comparing apples to oranges....
Good point though it's also apples and oranges. Ease of use will only get you so far. Sure you could write a simple demo in say five days, but beyond that you might find you need to re-write 55% of Irrlicht's rendering engine. Still good point.
katoun

Post by katoun »

I shall tell you good, I have tested both with the same scene.
OGRE is more powerfull. YES, Irrlight need its rendering changed, upgraded.
BUT even though I have went from Irrlicht to Ogre because of that I still like the simple and nice API Irrlicht has :D.
Kat'Oun
Nadro

Post by Nadro »

Ogre has very slow OpenGL render. On my test demo in Irrlicht 1.0 I have 72 FPS in Open GL and 88 FPS in DirectX 9 in Ogre 97 FPS on Directx 9, but 15 FPS in OpenGL :/ Irrlicht is very Faster than Ogre
evak

Post by evak »

It really depends, recent tests showed them to be pretty close on my system. GL v's DX9. I had some probs with older ATI drivers a few months back which seems to improved recently.