IrrNet - Irrlicht Network Framework 0.36 (Now Windows/Linux)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hey I didnt know this name was taken :lol:

Anyway the library just started there is plenty of time to add such features. What was Irrlicht like at version 0.1?
Spintz

Post by Spintz »

good stuff in here, dead reckoning/client-prediction is very important to have. I've already done much work with these at my real job, so won't be a problem to implement. Will probably have levels of dead-reckoning where you can just do position, position/rotation, and so on.

The preferred rotation to use would be quaternions I'm thinking, cause the are small( only 16 bytes compared to 56 bytes for a matrix ) and the slerp/lerp is easy to do as well.
stef_

Post by stef_ »

> Hey I didnt know this name was taken
I'm not saying this.

I'm used to call irrXYZ the best (or ufficial) program for doing XYZ with irrlicht (the same applies for gtk-xxx libraries, gnome-xxx libraries, or ogre-xxx libraries, ...).

Bye
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I was thinking to have a function like setVelocity that will add a flystraight animator so it will only need to send information when the direction or speed changes (Hmm this will be similar to "forward predicting"). I am interested in this prediction thing I may go read a few articles on GameDev.net now.

@stef_: I called it irrNet because there was no network wrapper for irrlicht at all, best or worst.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Just tossing a helping hand for Dev-Cpp (and I think these work with Code::Blocks, dunno) users like myself.

ENet Lib
http://www.ultimate-ownage.com/enet.a

ws2_32.a
http://www.ultimate-ownage.com/libws2_32.a

Works really nicely BlindSide, thanks :D
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

thanks for this. I'll have to look into putting it in my game
Now I have to port from HawkNL :? :(

Yet again... I was considering writing an IrrLicht Network Lib... looks like you beat me to it
pushpork
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yes everyone was considering but noone did so I got fed up and did it myself. Do not get version 0.22, get 0.25 now it is much better... But dynamic creation is only for Cube and Sphere. I will add scene node struct type shortly and that is when it will become very useful.

PS: I am on IRC sometimes if anyone needs help using because this is not very well documented.
Avalanche

Post by Avalanche »

where is 0.25?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

I will upload soon, it has many more features but I goto test them first.

For example you can make mesh nodes with animators dynamically and they get deleted when client disconnects. So there is alot to test. :)

Actually it wont be long maybe 15 minutes after I do some quick testing.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

Can you make a demo/documentation? I'm interested ;)
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

sorry I have been lazy about that, I will release a third person camera demo with animation soon. (this will hopefully help test how efficient this library is when sending this kind of data.)

I am having a small problem with the dead reckonin system im using mainly that the speed is not synchronised well over 2 instances, hopefully i can find a fix to this soon (I am looking through irrlicht documentation on how it is done using flystraight etc.) If anyone can point me in the way of some accurate frame independant movement I will be happy. :D

Cheers
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Demo released.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

lol Luke and Blindside, the demo was awesome.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Big BIG release, irrNet 0.3! I have already finished and DOCUMENTED it (For a change). I did not have time to compile examples but the source code and media are included!. Here is a list of features:

- Added low level implementation! Now it is possible to manage your own packets! This is made very easy my the NetManager's sendOutPacket and OutPacket->addData functions. Now you can specify a custom packet handler just like a custom event reciever and do all your packet handling in that!

- Added a CustomOperations class! Now you can decide what happens to new net nodes right after they are created. Read documentation for more information.

- Fixed lots of bugs, nodes now disappear completely when a client disconnects and lots of other things.

- DOCUMENTATION! I documented all functions to be used by the user and also made a nice doxygen with example and installation instructions on the main page. Can be found in Doc directory.

- More and more and much much more! Read DOCUMENTATION for more info!

:D
Last edited by BlindSide on Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

This gets better and better!
You're still my hero!