OctTreeSceneNode and dynamic lights

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
ASchepis

OctTreeSceneNode and dynamic lights

Post by ASchepis »

I created an oct tree scene node and some dynamic lights and made my model cast a shadow. The dynamic light shines through the walls of the map howerver. How can i fix this? and can an oct tree scene node cast its own shadows?

thanks,
adam
Mercior

Post by Mercior »

Octree cannot cast shadows and even if it could it would be incredibly slow :p I think you need the doom 3 engine for something like that...

I'm guessing your light isnt illuminating the level mesh because you're using a level mesh with lightmap textures? (bsp)
ASchepis

Post by ASchepis »

AHH!! That makes sense. I may have to export my map into some other format, or use a different type of map.

Thanks very much for your help. My main concern however was the fact that the light is actually going "through" the walls. Would this occur in a map that doesn't have lightmaps?

Adam
hub

Post by hub »

This's just a guess (running home to check it out in a moment :D ) but the problem might be connectod with the material type used. Maybe try using EMT_LIGHTMAP_LIGHTING which enables you to mix lightmaps and vertex (ordinary) lights. Default mat. type for oct. tree enities is (presumably) EMT_LIGHTMAP which doesn't seem to care for vertex lights. Curious if i'm right :wink: