HOW TO: compile irrlicht for PS3 in 10 steps

A forum to store posts deemed exceptionally wise and useful
catron

HOW TO: compile irrlicht for PS3 in 10 steps

Post by catron »

Okay, This is just to give a primer. I will be updating shortly on how to optimise code for the cell and getting all of the examples running. Currently, ive only been able to run hello world.

Note - this isn't that hard. just wanted to show it is possible.
also, if you try to make a program remember to use a software renderer.

I do not have a wired connection on my ps3. you can skip step 2 and do this from your ps3 if you have a connection.

1) Download Irrlicht 1.2 (I recommend a fresh download if you already have it)
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/irrl ... p?download

2) copy over the zip file to a storage medium (memory stick, USB, CD, etc.)

3) plug-in the medium to the ps3

4) find the zip on the medium and extract it to your desktop.

5) open the Terminal

*Capitalization matters

6) type in "cd Desktop"->"cd Irrlicht-1.2"->"cd source"->"cd Irrlicht"->"make" (make will take about 5 mins)

7) now type in "cd ../../examples/01.HelloWorld"

8) type "make"

9) open up in the file browser irrlicht-1.2->examples->01.HelloWorld

10) run it !

Video of HelloWorld running:

as stated above i will be adding more soon.

Thanks,
Catron
IPv6

Post by IPv6 »

But HOW it is possible??? PS3 packed with Cpp compiler out-of-the box???
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hes got Fedora core installed on his PS 3 it seems. I heard Sony is officially supporting it this time.

Though im sure most people here already know how to compile irrlicht on linux... :?

Would you happen to know how to write the game to a cd (or bluray dvd) and make it boot up in the PS 3 like a real game? :P
catron

Post by catron »

Yes, this is fedora core. in the game-os it is not possible to load a game from a disc. And this is simple stuff. when i update it the engine will be optimized for the cell. Sohread to the new when that happens i will have a link in this thread to the new one.
iZigoo

Post by iZigoo »

It is a great idea to bring irrlicht to the ps3.
There are a lot people who will use this platform and it
is cool if irrlicht stuff will run on it.

I hope to see more in the future ...

iZigoo
-------------------------------------------------------
iZigoo - The open 3D internet

iZigoo Homepage
wolfgke

Post by wolfgke »

But as far as I know the GPU of the PS3 can't be used under the PS3 linux. Does this mean only the software renderer/Apelbaum renderer can be used?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Who cares, most people who buy the ps3 will not bother to run linux on it, officially supported or not. I dont think theres a very big market for this at all. Would be interesting to see those CPU optimizations though.
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

You have to use the linux version of Irrlicht then to get it to work
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

can you please add this to the wiki? thanks.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Virion wrote:can you please add this to the wiki? thanks.
Umm, it is EXACTLY the same as the compile for linux how-to. What part is different?
Dances

Post by Dances »

GameDude wrote:You have to use the linux version of Irrlicht then to get it to work
There isn't a "linux version" of Irrlicht. It works with all OSes with just one download...
Quall

Post by Quall »

What is different about this that makes it different from compiling on any other linux OS?
SomeNick

Post by SomeNick »

Quall wrote:What is different about this that makes it different from compiling on any other linux OS?
Well, maybe he was just pointing out that it is actually possible to use IrrLicht under PS3. Maybe a ton of people didn't realize this (the kind of thing that is so obvious that nobody sees it) and he decided to bring this possibility to the attention of everyone.

Never been a huge fan of Linux (primarily low videogames market possibilities) but it may change eventually and its a cool thing to know :-)
compound

Post by compound »

in order to save ram its best to use this without an X server running.

had problems getting the example apps to run on /dev/fbo directly on the frame buffer, but with thanks to hybrid for his fb drivers ive managed to get this working

1: Download Irrlicht 1.4 http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/downloads.html (the top one 16.1 mb)

2: Extract to a directory then “cd” to the include directory and replace “IrrCompileConfig.h” with the new one.

3 “cd” to the “source” folder and replace “CirrDeviceLinux.h” and “CirrDeviceLinux.cpp” with the replacement files included

4: make.... wait about 5 minutes

5: cd to the examples directory and run ./buildAllExamples.sh

6 cd to the bin directory and test the demo's out :)

you may need to modify the resolutions of the demo's to match that of your screen

files: http://stowelly.co.uk/IrrllichtFB-replacement-Files.rar (right click save as)
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

My friend has just bought a new PS3. All he needs to do is install a fresh Ubuntu 7 on it and the rest is like on a PC machine (and the new linux driver)?
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%