Place IrrKlang 3d sounds with irrEdit ???

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding game design, integration of external libraries here. For irrEdit, irrXML and irrKlang, see the
ambiera forums
eviral

Place IrrKlang 3d sounds with irrEdit ???

Post by eviral »

Hello,

Can i place IrrKlang 3d sounds with irrEdit and save them into the .irr level file ?

Thanks

Eviral
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

Not that I know of. If you look, you'll notice there is a resources/sceneNode_sound.bmp in the irrEdit installation, and the irrKlang home page shows the irrEdit SceneGraph Explorer window with sounds in it. That leads me to believe that Niko has already got this working.

If Niko would add support for plug-ins this would be pretty easy. The irrEdit loading process would enumerate the dll files in the plugins folder, call LoadLibrary, and then GetProcAddress looking for a predefined named function. If the function is found it would invoke the function, perhaps passing a pointer to the scene manager, or maybe getting a pointer to a derived ISceneNodeFactory class. The code would then just register that scene node factory with the scene manager.

You would just have to write a DLL with a named function that created a ISceneNodeFactory capable of creating derived ISceneNode types. You could use the code I provided a while back to make sound emitter and listener scene nodes.

It is all possible, it just requires some time from the only person who has access to the source code. Either that or someone needs to write it up from scratch.

Travis
Phant0m51

Post by Phant0m51 »

You could always do some trial and error and do it a different way. Load a static mesh into irrEdit, make it invisible, and give it a name you'll remember. Then when you're parsing the Scene nodes after loading them into your game, you could place the 3d sounds at the mesh's location.

Even an invisible billboard with no texture would work.

Of course, this is just a workaround until this gets fixed permanently.
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Yes, irrEdit already has built-in irrKlang scene nodes, but they are not public yet. Going to improve the editor a lot for the next version and expose all this.
liger13

Post by liger13 »

sweet cant wait for the next release.
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

I'm curious how you are providing this support. Obviously you don't want to add a direct dependency for IrrKlang on Irrlicht, so you can't really put the scene node in IrrKlang. And you are probably going to want to avoid adding a dependency on IrrKlang from Irrlicht also. I guess you could provide a plugin system that allows you to load a shared library to create derived scene node types and then use this from IrrEdit...

Travis
niko
Site Admin

Post by niko »

Right, that's what I'm intending to do :)
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

Great Niko! Another of my dreams come true! Editing 3d audio in an Irrlicht realtime 3d editor.
Irrlicht is then slowly becoming a game engine after all! ;) What next? Physics and network?