Low poly human body [download available]

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
arras

Low poly human body [download available]

Post by arras »

I hope all of you artists there will enjoy new forum sections as our wishes seems to came true ...which is not happening so ofthen :wink:

Just to start something with I started this low poly male human body. Actualy I started creating it as kind of template. Once finished I'll make it free for download here.

Download:
http://www.spintz.com/arras/Files/male.x
http://www.spintz.com/arras/Files/male.3ds
http://www.spintz.com/arras/Files/male.obj

You are free to use and modyfi it. No restrictions.
Last edited by arras on Mon May 21, 2007 4:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

this looks very good, nice job ;)
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

I LOVE YOU.
I've been needing one of these.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

monkeycracks wrote:I LOVE YOU.
take look at program called MakeHuman, it creates detailed human and in blender you can lower polygons count if you want
sio2
Competition winner

Post by sio2 »

Personal preference, but when I rig an articulated figure I prefer the feet apart and the arms outstretched. The arms should not be outstretched parallel with the floor either, but pointing "down" somewhat. The idea is to alleviate stretching in the shoulders when animating.

I'll dig out some screenshots when I get chance...
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

roxaz wrote:
take look at program called MakeHuman, it creates detailed human and in blender you can lower polygons count if you want
I've been looking at this and I like the looks of it. The problem I have is that lowering the tricount in Blender using the decimator doesn't make it all that pretty. I think I could deal with the body, but the head is just gross afterwards. I think the best way is to detach the head, lower the tri count for the body and then reattach it with the higher tricount. You might lower the head tri count, but not as much as the body since the head needs more verts for the detail. The hands may be the same way, but the process shouldn't be that hard, and since you can use makehuman to pretty much customize your body style, including fantasy stuff, it probably would be worth the effort.
monkeycracks

Post by monkeycracks »

I can't work blender to save my life :p
Don't really care to learn ;)
I'll just wait.
arras

Post by arras »

Thanks all for comments :)

monkeycracks >> I'll upload it as soon as its ready. This will take some time however, right now I have quit lot of work. Next week its done may be.

roxaz >> taht would be great if it would work like that ...unfortunately it isnt for reasons kburkhart84 stated. To convert hi poly model in to low poly is nearly as much work as making one from scratch and result is newer going to satisfy you totaly.

sio2 >> I know exactly what you mean. I'll do it like that later. Its just that it is easier to model limbs if they are parallel with one of the axis. Especialy if you use reference pictures.
Last edited by arras on Tue May 15, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwmitch

Post by dwmitch »

kburkhart84 wrote:
roxaz wrote:
I've been looking at this and I like the looks of it. The problem I have is that lowering the tricount in Blender using the decimator doesn't make it all that pretty.
It's a little extra work, but if you don't like the decimator you could use the retopo tool. You'll have to search the Blender wiki for it, since I can't really give a good explanation of it, but it's better than modelling from scratch.
Those who call the faithful 'sheep' do not realize that they themselves are sheep. We follow one shepherd, they follow another.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Nice model.
Just asking, how many poly it has right now?
arras

Post by arras »

868 polygoons right now. But it will increase a little bit. Needs some detail on face and at feets.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

nice move

:)

2 things to check:

look if legs, from floor to crotch, are somewhat as tall as from crotch to top of head...looks like not.Also, from middle knee to crotch, and from knee to floor, use to be same distance, which here the latest seems shorter...havent measured, tho, you can if grab screenshot and use Adobe ps rule tool and info window, or , use simple marquee windows and info window in any 2d package. Or if eye is already trained, just look at it directly.

not sure, is late and am sleepy...
you can kill some polies in the interior of elbow, opposite side I mean...elbow yep, there dont remove, as elbow do weirder bends...

about separing a bit legs, yep, I do, as well as armas...but even the allways said to be wrong just arms full horizontal position..has its advantage in rigging shoulder...so, some o fthose things arent carved in stone...

but yep, generaly will be mor epainful to read if are near. In packages which allow grow selection, though, isnot so much issue.

Maybe if you make basic model and later specific elements are parts attached, would be better for peoples combines, or for their adition of their components, way easier for them than do a human and even more, rig it and animate. I guess your plan is only modelling tho. ;)

attached parts maybe a prob with x format...tho can be attached...anyway, I envision irrlicht using in a near future b3d and md5 for all these matters, for less users pain...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

tips of longer finger should reach mid of upper leg.

here, prob seems is torso is too long, making legs short, and inlegs, also lower leg is short compared to upper leg, probably.

once changed if you do, remember not go lower than 8 heades in height , in total...9 is "heroic" but unrealistic proportions, but are used in many games ...sadly ;) 7,5 heads of policleto, is too few, making a mediterranean man very real, but less near to be a sort of champion of fighting ;)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

maybe feet small...but please, dont do unreal t. lunar boots ;), besides, is better a basic male so ppl dress of armour and clothes later...
arras

Post by arras »

vermeer >> I am also nearly sleeping. Unfortunately still have to prepare few things for tomorow. I have to get up early trawel to capital for meeting. I will probably not be wery fresh tomorow :)

Thanks for your valuable remarks. I did use reference to model it. It should be fairly "ideal" but I dont aim for it neceserily. Not that much "ideal" people around ...apart fom TV screen of course. But newer the less your points are good. Ill work them in to model :)