Low poly human body [download available]

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
kburkhart84

Post by kburkhart84 »

dwmitch wrote: It's a little extra work, but if you don't like the decimator you could use the retopo tool. You'll have to search the Blender wiki for it, since I can't really give a good explanation of it, but it's better than modelling from scratch.
I'll take a look and see if I can find it. If I do, I'll post about it.

EDIT**
Pretty nice tool. I think by the time I'm finished though, it might have been better to start from scratch. If anyone wants, I can explain how the tool works. I think the decimate modifier will do what we need. We just need to control what parts we are decimating. The head and hand should be less decimated that the torso and legs. Possibly arount the joints that will be animated, we'll avoid decimating some of that too, depending on how they animate. You could could use Blender's knife tool to separate the hands and hand from the rest and then reattach them, and since dicimate is a controllable modifier(awesome addition to Blender), you can now control exactly how many faces you have. Also, it isn't near as bad as it could be. The models produced from makehuman have around 20000 tris. We aren't in the days of Quake2 when human models needed to maintain less than 3000 tris. I'm not saying to leave them at 20,000, but if you lower them to anywhere from 5 to 10 thousand for the main character, and 3 to 5 thousand for the rest, you should still be able to maintain high detail and not have to work to hard to decimate said models.
arras

Post by arras »

As promised, model is awailable for download. Links and picture are at the begining of post. You are free to use and modify it to our liking. No restrictions.
If I will still find some time, I'll UV map it.
Enjoy :)
Anteater

Post by Anteater »

Cool! So if I understand you correctly, it's royalty free for editing/use for any purpose (freeware/shareware/commercial)?
arras

Post by arras »

Yes :)
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Anyone plan to texture it and replace the quake model for tutorial 1 demo? Just a suggestion.
cuatro

Post by cuatro »

thanks for the model! i got it all mapped out to a biped system in 3d studio and seems to be working pretty well. im a modeling beginner but it worked pretty well and the walking looks pretty good with it.
GuerillaSoftworks

Post by GuerillaSoftworks »

Thanks for the model!

Btw cuatro, is there any chance I could get a copy of your rigged version? please?? :D
Guerilla Softworks

New Guerilla Softworks website under construction - http://guerillasoftworks.awardspace.com
hockey97

Post by hockey97 »

Nice job looks great, I need to lean how to do such a thing, for me modeling humans is hard.
arras

Post by arras »

Modeling organic shapes in general is dificult. To start with get some good reference pictures. You may draw one yourself if you are skiled enough. But most probably you want some good photos. For this model I used some anatomy drawings I have found on net.

There are some tutorials to be found on net too. Good point to start. If you are beginer modeler, I recomend to start with some more mechanic shapes however. Simple robot or something similar.

I UV maped model and started to texture it. Ill make it public once finished.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

arras are you start with a cube? i always start off with a cylinder (for torso, hands and legs), then use a sphere for the head, and boxes for feet.
arras

Post by arras »

No, I do it like you. I start with cilinder. Depending howe "polygoon rich" model I want, I start with 6 or 8 sided cilinder. Then extrude to get more segments of a body. Then I attach another cilinders to get arms and legs. Cilinder method gives best control over polycount. Feets I just extrude from the same cilinder as legs. Feets can be extruded from cilinder quit nicely. For head I use cube, sphere makes two poles with some unecesery polygoons. But thats just matter of taste. I use cube for hands.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

I start from an Octotoad (Wings3d primitive) .Sort of allows me fast extruding of all. I do all extruding and using the really fast Wings -mirai like- operations. By far, to me the fastest organic modeler ever.
Rarely use extra primitives, I even grow em from the main body and then extract, but sometimes also do as apart objetcs. For inorganic, mainly start from separate objects, then joining or not together.

I hated in compaies when was forced to use someone else's concepts to trace...but was very common. I prefer to do my own concepts, tho is more fun to me go in the fly... Sort of more creative :) Personal preference.

Yep, anathomy is *really* important. A model is totally wrecked if no...

Texture is a procces which needs a lot of work...yet tho I enjoy it when am in an advanced stage.

Good gift to the comunity.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com