What modeler do you use?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.

What modeler do you use?

3D Studio Max
23%
Blender
44%
LightWave
2%
Maya
2%
MilkShape 3D
12%
ZBrush
No votes
Anim8or
5%
Wings 3D
9%
Art of Illusion
2%

Total votes: 43

roxaz

What modeler do you use?

Post by roxaz »

Somehow i found modeling quite interesting so im curious what community uses. Plz comment advantages and disadvantages of modeler you use. If other, tell what is that modeler.
arras

Post by arras »

Wings 3D ...its the best free modeler out there. It nearly compare with tools like Maya or 3DMax in pure modeling. Latest version even export to x. It lacks animation ability however and its build in UV mapper was not the best in older versions ...I was not using UV editor in newer versions so perhaps its better.

Milkshape is wery good average if you want to have decent tool with modeling, texturing and animating in one piece of software.

Those are mine favourite.
Luben

Post by Luben »

It was quite some time since i was into modelling myself (I managed to get one of my friends hooked on modelling :)) but i used Milkshape 3D. Like the 'raw' exposure of verts & faces.
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

wings, ultimate unwrap, blender, max, metasequoia...mainly wings.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
Dances

Post by Dances »

I learned on MS3D but much prefer 3DS Max; however it costs more than a diamond encrusted bust of Jesus so I try to get away with GMax when I can't legally use 3DS.
lostclimategames

Post by lostclimategames »

blender, the interface mapped with the keyboard using one key instead of a bunch of ctrl-somethings makes everything very quick and efficient

Post by kburkhart84 »

Blender all the way. It is free and actually does a very good job with many features. I think it is easier to use the 3dsmax, though I agree that it is quirky to learn. The featureset is actually comparable to max, but the price, NO COMPARISON. Also, things get added that make it even better. Most things you could do with max, you probably can do with Blender. I've tried milkshape before, and it has advatages(import/export), but as far as actual modelling, I don't like it. I can't use subdivision surfaces or anything like it. Like mentioned above, it is basicly just raw faces and verts, which can be a good thing. But not for me.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

i use blender too but i cant overcome exporting problem... unless i dont get into bones and animations stuff its ok, there is b3d exporter for static meshes. also you saw my topic abut UW unwrap, this is some kind of magic i gues :lol:
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

Dances wrote:I learned on MS3D but much prefer 3DS Max; however it costs more than a diamond encrusted bust of Jesus so I try to get away with GMax when I can't legally use 3DS.
How do you use GMax with irrlicht? I didnt see any exporter for it... :|
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

well, there is a not very well known obj script exporter, plus some ways to export legally but not so painfully...

there's a FS related x exporter, but I wouldnt go that route...

and mostly, for characters, that is, there's a user made *.md5 exporter, which quite works. Another reason why I hope md5 gets added also to irrlicht.

So, having OBJ, and having md5, in theory should be possible..in a future ;)
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

i checked google.. that x exporter with dirty hack doesnt work well, there were problems with animations (as usual...). sio2 managed to load doom3 model (md5) with irrlicht, check his demo

EDIT:
md5 loader here and here. I found out that there exist md5 importer and exporter for blender but havent tested them yet. Maybe this model support will change our lives huh? :)
Last edited by roxaz on Thu May 17, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dances

Post by Dances »

roxaz wrote:
Dances wrote:I learned on MS3D but much prefer 3DS Max; however it costs more than a diamond encrusted bust of Jesus so I try to get away with GMax when I can't legally use 3DS.
How do you use GMax with irrlicht? I didnt see any exporter for it... :|
It happily exports to MD3.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

version i have can export to P3D only :|
Dances

Post by Dances »

you need to find the plugin. Ii was a part of tempest. If you google for GMAX MD3 Plugin you'll find it. It is one of the few plugins GMAX will accept.

Google is awesome. Here is a wealth of nifty GMAX things http://www.davidhsmith.net/Essential_Tools.htm
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

great. md3 exporter is just what i need. thx for link ;)