Invert vertices? [blender]

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
roxaz

Invert vertices? [blender]

Post by roxaz »

Is there a way to invert vertices positions in blender? Take a closer look to my mesh:
As you see we can see faces only from inner side of the mesh. I remember that to make it visible from outside i had to invert vertices positions (im not sure) in milkshape. Or maybe i have to do something else?
cylicht

Post by cylicht »

Recalculate normals outside [Ctrl + N] or just flip normals. [W -> Flip Normals] It's in the Mesh menu -> Normals in Edit Mode.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

somehow its not working. still irrlicht loads invisible model. mesh viewer now shows deformed model.
cylicht

Post by cylicht »

In Edit Mode in the button pane in the Editing context (F9) in the Mesh Tools 1 panel there is a button called [Draw Normals] confirm that the face normals are pointing outside. Recalculate if they are not.

Run the export script in Object Mode. Close the mesh viewer and open it again before viewing the mesh.

It should show up properly in the mesh viewer. It still might be invisible in Irrlicht until you assign a material.

Which .x exporter script are you using? Which version of Blender are you using? Did you create this model in Blender or import it?
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

im using v2.43, this exporter. model created in blender. it seems that my normals were pointing outside all the time, but no matter where they point i get same results
cylicht

Post by cylicht »

I use this exporter. It seems to work better.

According to the page you linked to (near the end):
The script has seen some testing, but there probably are bugs and other issues still lurking around. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or contact me at the Blender Artists forum. If you have problems with exporting it is useful to send a link to the .blend file (if possible) so that I can test it too.

Heikki Salo
general(at)directpython.org
That would be a better place to ask about that particular script.
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

i gues ill try GMax for now. It looks quite good.
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

I had the same problem (2.43), so i exported as .obj then reimported in blender, its fixed the normals and they can be flipped normally (before flipping didnt have any effect).
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

exporting and inporting is not perfect in blender. some things get cut off. its good if its simple meshes, but what if it would be animated character with loades of animations and other stuff?
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

The problem is in the normals so you could do it right after modelling(no loss of info) (the first step), buts its a bug in this version of blender.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
roxaz

Post by roxaz »

cylicht wrote:I use this exporter. It seems to work better.
wow, this did the trick. it didnt work for me before because i had to open and save mesh with mwiev. now everything works. i gues we can mark this as [SOLVED] :)