getSceneNodeFromRay question

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
kendric

getSceneNodeFromRay question

Post by kendric »

I was looking more carefully at what the code does in this guy. From my limited understanding it looks like it just looks for a collision between the ray and a box around the scene node.
If that is correct then its not a very accurate way to check for bullet hits.

Also if it is correct, I am not sure how to get the real scene node that a bullet hit because the other way to do it with a triangle selector doesn't give you a scene node that was hit. I suppose you could run a triangle selector check on every single scene node in your scene but that sounds way overkill.

Does anyone know the proper way to raycast and get accurate collision detections and be able to tell which scene node you really hit?
vitek
Bug Slayer

Post by vitek »

Ideally you would do a bounding box/ray intersection test to look for potential collisions. After you've collected all of the potential hits you would use the triangle selector to find out if the node was actually hit.

Unfortunately there isn't a way to get all of the scene nodes that have bounding boxes intersecting with a ray. I posted some code for adding a scene node filter system to the collision manager.

Travis
kendric

Post by kendric »

Ok thanks for the input. If your still around I have another question.
This one is about 3d models in general as I am comming from a java telcom background I am way out of touch :)

I got a gun model from:
http://files.filefront.com/P220zip/;124 ... einfo.html

It has a nice gun in it and I noticed it has hand textures. If I load the gun in milkshape I notice 2 things.

1 is that the hands are bones instead of ... solid objects?
If i cut the gun out and try to load the hands up in irrlicht i get nothing. So im assuming that only the solid things are real models?

2nd is that the hands are way way down the y axis from the gun, though they move in sync with it when the gun animates.

What I want to do is have a hand holding a gun and if possible, use these fire animations that are in here.

Any input on how this is supposed to fit together would be great.
Thanks