Render Monkey and FX Composer

You are an experienced programmer and have a problem with the engine, shaders, or advanced effects? Here you'll get answers.
No questions about C++ programming or topics which are answered in the tutorials!
cfoks

Render Monkey and FX Composer

Post by cfoks »

Hi,How can I use the shaders of Render monkey or FX Composer. If you know any good shader tool,it is also OK, because I have no enough knowledge about shaders and .fx files. Thanks for your care....
vi-wer

Post by vi-wer »

I guess you won't be able to use Rendermonkey/FX Composer shaders. At least it's not that simple. They have different techniques while Irrlicht need a single function. You can look in the code snippets forum for some shaders for irrlicht or learn the shader language. It's basically C/C++ with some extra keywords. It's not that hard to learn it and shouldn't take more than one day.
By the way Cg and HLSL is the same language. :)
cfoks

Post by cfoks »

hmmm...Thank you very much....I will begin to learn GLSL
TheGameMaker

Post by TheGameMaker »

Learning GLSL is a great Idea... Convert shaders from Rendermonkey to Irrlicht isn't hard.. mostly you have to make a long string out off the code, and pass it to a shader class... but its a little harder, to get the shadercallbavk poop to work the way you want it (especially if you pass more than one Tex to the shader..) but you can learn it within a day, no problem..
If you have some, you can send me a PM..
koller202

Post by koller202 »

me too l m confuse in shader anyone is a good tutorial for learn shader ?
________
Ernesto brambilla
Last edited by koller202 on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frobozz

Post by Frobozz »

vi-wer wrote:By the way Cg and HLSL is the same language. :)
No they aren't the same, they're similar. HLSL was developed by Microsoft to program shaders for DirectX. Whereas Cg was designed to program shaders for NVidia video cards and works with both DirectX and OpenGL.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

so cg only works under nvidia cards right?
Silbermünze

Post by Silbermünze »

TheGameMaker wrote:Learning GLSL is a great Idea... Convert shaders from Rendermonkey to Irrlicht isn't hard.. mostly you have to make a long string out off the code, and pass it to a shader class... but its a little harder, to get the shadercallbavk poop to work the way you want it (especially if you pass more than one Tex to the shader..) but you can learn it within a day, no problem..
If you have some, you can send me a PM..
In fact you would use the frag-shader and vert-shader from a GLSL RenderMonkey project and put them in files to be loaded by Irrlicht.
I think this is the way you can use RenderMonkey best for development and evaluation of your shader code and still use Irrlichts "normal" functionality to load the shaders. However the passing of variable values still has to be done in the appropriate callback function.

At least this is the way I do it. However I still have some problems with the rendering.

Thoran
Frobozz

Post by Frobozz »

Virion wrote:so cg only works under nvidia cards right?
The way various articles (Wikipedia for one) read it seems that Cg compiles scripts down to either HLSL or GLSL. So going on that assumption it should work with ATI cards. Although it might be programmed to know about optimizations specific to NVidia cards. I'd try it out on an ATI card but I'm not using one.
FuzzYspo0N

Post by FuzzYspo0N »

It does work in ATI, Its compatible on both. there are optimizations and some extra stuff in Nvidia but its objective at most