What is a good modeller for irrlicht?

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

poop I knew you guys wouldn't listen :lol:
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
deesine

Post by deesine »

Coming from a maya-mindset, and not having read ALL of the above comments :? I have this to say, about the modelling aspect.

Blender, which I learned to use before I even started using maya, a little more than three years ago, is too complicated and un-intuitive for quick modelling, imo, I've tried to get back into it but pressing several keys just to change the gizmo, no thank you. SketchUp is superior, even more so in my mind than maya is, and I'm very comfortable using maya for modelling these days. I have given wings a spin now and then and it's also great for modeling, especially for edge-loop and organic modelling.

Well, I guess it all comes down to not having to use too many shortcuts and getting too technical, it should be like working with clay, like ZBrush. If you're more artistical than technical, that is :)
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

yeh, sketchup seems something that'd require a deper look by myself...pitty is not usable for comercial...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

Wow about adding vertices, i used to add new plane meshes to get 4 vertices. Blender sculpting is too unstable on my system too, i guess i need >1gb ram since once blender took 900mb of my memory.
like ZBrush. If you're more artistical than technical, that is
I find all this new z brush style tools to be very good even for non artistic people because it can make texture painting a matter of baking rather than 2d art :D . you still get to model the basic shape in low poly using technical refrences.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

hmm...is a matter of optimization...with one gig of ram --edit:unless you use Vista--- you should be able...there are techniques like masking...havent dig much on blender sculpt yet...but i have (purchased) zbrush 1.23b, and it was able to do very well with 512mb...and with amorphium 1, waaay older software, even with 64 mb of ram! lol, not that it went fast, but was usable.

probably sculpt in blender needs a lot of optimization,dunno if is in python, but original standalone sculpt was quite faster in my tests, was perfectly usable in very heavy meshes and exporting as obj... If that performance gets back in blender, great then...
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com