blender waterfall

Post your questions, suggestions and experiences regarding to Image manipulation, 3d modeling and level editing for the Irrlicht engine here.
JPulham

blender waterfall

Post by JPulham »

How can I create a realistic water fall in blender, like Niagara falls or something where a large plane of water becomes foamy and then falls off the end?
can this be done with fluid sim or particles?

also, how do I make it a seamless animation (i.e. starting and ending key frames are identical)? :?
pushpork
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

The fluid sim can spwan particles automatically now.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
omaremad
Competition winner

Post by omaremad »

For seamless i just do half the animation, copy the Keyframes (action/nla window) paste and reverse scale (using s key). btw pasting 1 keyframe (the start one) at the end also does seamless but the interpolation is less "natural" looking.
"Irrlicht is obese"

If you want modern rendering techniques learn how to make them or go to the engine next door =p
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Wouldn't your method cause the water to jump back up on the last half of the animation as it is reversed? (And placing the first keyframe at the end would also make it jump back up but very quickly as it interpolates from the last frame.)
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

a very basic way, if we speak of a walkcycle, is copy paste the 1st frame to last one, and perhaps export all except th every last if it's noticed a pause (2 frames equal)

of course, that's not all, you need to tweak it all very heavily, that is, *animate* , to have it as a natural walking.
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com
JPulham

Post by JPulham »

maybe do a simple fluid sim of half the full scene length, then copy the fluid sim and offset by half, and repeat that until you end on a key frame that is the same
i.e.:

Code: Select all

|------------------| full time line
      |---------| actual animation
| fluid 1 |
      | fluid 2 |
            | fluid 3 |
but this may be more trouble than its worth :? :D
pushpork