My First IRRLITCH demo (Completed 23th September)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
christianclavet

My First IRRLITCH demo (Completed 23th September)

Post by christianclavet »

Hi. Here are some pictures of my first IRRLICHT demo. I still have some things to learn but I wanted to show you how I was going so far with the engine.
EDIT:
This is the completed version released today (4 october).

All the level were modeled using Lightwave, lighted using Gile[s] 1.36. then exported as .b3d objects. Some tweakings of surfaces has been made using IRREDIT.
Edit(21 august 2007): Now feature the realistic water node, subway station walls completed, and created a installer(french) (Install Creator)
Edit(31 august 2007): Worked on the fountain, water, and added 3D sound effect to some objects.
Last screenshots are there: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... 268#129268
Edit: 1st September 2007: New update:
- added a loader menu interface and display progress
- Changed material of water in the fountain to be more realistic (a little). If I could blur the movement, it would be really photorealistic.
Edit: September 2 2007:
- Cleaned the interface of the loader (window and main loader)
- Changed the main icon
- Tweaked the sound parameter to improve the front hearing. (seemed weird)

Dowload links:

French installer: http://www.clavet.org/DemoFR.exe 35.5Mb
English installer: http://www.clavet.org/DemoEN.exe 35.5Mb
Last edited by christianclavet on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 11 times in total.
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

That looks really nice 8) What's the purpose of the scenery, some architecture planning?
christianclavet

Thanks Hybrid! :D

No, this scenery was inspired by subway stations in Montreal. I was working as a Telecom/voip Technian and now trying to get a job into the game industry. I have to produce a good quality demo.

I will have to search how to make water surfaces and load properly a IRR scene (Travis-Vitek helped me a lot on this). I can find the node but still crash when I try to create a OCCTREE for the triangle selection.

I'll hope to fix theses soon. So I'll only have to create levels an add "features" the "player".
Acki

Post by Acki »

Yeah, looks really nice !!! :)
But I found 2 faults...

1. it doesn't look good if you have to jump up the stairs, maybe make the stairs not that high or make the collision elypsoid bigger...

2. the texture of the buses are not correct at the doors:
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
christianclavet

Thanks for the comments Acki! :D

Yes, I have to remake the buses. I had only 1 picture of the side. I need 2 pictures. The buses will be changed once I get the new surfaces images.

For the stair... Yes. I'll probably have to remodel them, and make the stair longuer. It's too short now.
Acki

Post by Acki »

christianclavet wrote:Yes, I have to remake the buses. I had only 1 picture of the side. I need 2 pictures. The buses will be changed once I get the new surfaces images.
Just now that you say this I recognised that both sides are the same... :lol:
But this is not what I ment, there is something wrong with the UV mapping, best seen at the doors, maybe you changed some vertices after the UV mapping... ;)
while(!asleep) sheep++;
IrrExtensions:Image
http://abusoft.g0dsoft.com
try Stendhal a MORPG written in Java
christianclavet

Hi, Acki!

Yes. The UV map is wrong. But I'm still to take 2 new pictures from the sides.

The one I took was bad (if you look closely you'll see it is made of 2 parts). So the bus length is not correct at the moment.

Once I get the new pictures (2 sides this time with full bus side). I'll be able to remap thoses UV correctly.

I have some vertices in there that are incorrectly mapped in the UV maps (In fact they are not in the map). So there is some distortion. But I didnt want to put time to fix it, since I'm changing the picture and will also update the geometry to match le real lenght.

I have also another UV problem on the mailbox that I got to fix. I you see one of the sides is mapped incorrectly (In LW it's ok but once converted in make some problem in that area)

Someone know where I could find an example to use the water mesh node?

I will have to make some animated water, and I saw the command in the SDK but I'll need an example to implement it...

Thanks
christianclavet

Small update... to my project

Hi. Done some updates...

- My Skybox was not correctly rendered (banding). Found out that IRRLICHT render textures in 16bits. Fixed the problem, thanks to the forum.

- The staircase was too step and the angle was about 45 degrees. Fixed.
- I added some more textures for the floor.

Here some screenshots. I'll need to fix the Exterior level with the buses (once I got take some more pictures of them and fix the hole in the floor that go in the subway station)

Should change and update the online demo soon.
Thanks
paooolino

Post by paooolino »

looks very nice ;) I'm downloading it.

Just a question, is there a reason for you to prefere the .b3d file format and not the .obj from lightwave?

EDIT: amazing glass reflections!!
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Uhm, Irrlicht uses 32bits as default for textures since 0.14 I think?!
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Yes but theres been several reports of skyboxes showing low colour depth, no idea why.

This looks amazing, please keep up the good, I'll have to download it and have a closer look.

Did you use irrEdit for the lightmapping?
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net
christianclavet

Hi!

BlindSide and Hybrid, Yes the visual problem was with the skybox(DX9).
I'm using IRRedit to tweak the material. All Lightmapping is done in Gile[s] 1.3.6.

I don't have a reference scene in IRREDIT to do the proper scaling for the GI solution. I had to put some time to find the proper scaling of the geometry using Gile[s].

paooolino, I prefer for the moment using .b3d because I export all .LWO files in Giles[s] (I have to convert the mesh to .3DS before). Once in Gile[s], the meshes are exported in .b3d and that seem to work.

Once exported from Gile[s], I have to tweak the surface because all surfacetypes have the LIGHTMAP_M2 and need to have LIGHTMAP attribute.

For the reflection effect on the windows, it's done in IRREDIT, I simply change the surfacetype and put a picture for the reflection. (An old trick)

The current demo, don't have the ground surface, I'll have to take my picture this afternoon of the buses and other objects for my UV maps and also use them as reference for modeling.

Thanks
christianclavet

Hi. I've updated my demo.

Changes:

- Added code to render textures all to 32bits (skybox was rendered in 16bits)
- Modified skybox textures
- Redone the Buses, and stairs
- Redone the UV map on the mailbox (still problem)
- Added more textures and some more details
- Rendered the environnement with more that 1 Lightmap (At the moment there is 3 lightmap, will probably put more in the next updates)
- Reduced the size of some textures (tree for example)

Here is some new screenshots:

The link to download is still the same: http://www.clavet.org/Demo.zip
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Nice work. But the trees are way too solid?
BlindSide
Admin

Post by BlindSide »

Hey why don't you use Klasker's trees? From here: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... light=tree
ShadowMapping for Irrlicht!: Get it here
Need help? Come on the IRC!: #irrlicht on irc://irc.freenode.net