Learning - The order of things

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
webnoob

Learning - The order of things

Post by webnoob »

Hiya,

I am new to both Irrlicht and C++ and was wondering if maybe I am making things harder than they should be by trying to make games and such (using Irrlicht) without a deep understanding of C++. I can program in PHP (similar in syntax to C++) and Delphi so I am not new to the concepts of programming, but just the language and format itself.

Would the best approach be to go away and learn C++ and THEN come back here? Or is Irrlicht enough to teach myself C++ as I go along?

Thanks for the advice in advance

WebNoob
sfncook

Post by sfncook »

Well, you're definitely attempting an advanced topic, but it really depends on your skill level, commitment level and ability to Google well. Irrlicht has great tutorials. Go through those one at a time starting with the first, if it makes absolutely no sense then you have your answer. If it kind of makes sense and you can 'tweak' it to do something else that you want it to, then you have a different answer. C++ is similar to PHP or (I'm assuming) Delphi in that you don't have to memorize or absolutely understand it in order to use it. Just use tutorials, sample code, Google and maybe a reference book or two and you should be good. Hope this advice helps. May the force be with you young jedi.