3ds question?

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.

3ds question?

Post by Guest »

Can i use 3ds Studio Max and Export it to 3ds file to make "world map"?
if i can ,how much complex 3ds can do?,how many texture 3ds can use ?
thank
Acki

Post by Acki »

I'm using 3ds files for my progs...
You can use as much textures as you whant, with 3ds, they all have to be placed in the same folder as the mesh and must be in old DOS style (8.3 letters) !!!
But you can't export lights and animations in 3ds files - but only the textured mesh !!! You have to place the lights in Irrlicht on your own, but that's with all 3d formats you can use in Irrlicht...

CU, Acki
hansmbakker

Post by hansmbakker »

Can you use collision checking in .3ds maps like in the collision demo? (There are bsp maps used)

How do I have to do that?
Acki

Post by Acki »

Well, I'm using 3ds and ms3d files only, no bsp !!!
I have no problems withs collision detection of Irrlicht...
I do exactly the same as in the examples with an bsp and it works...

First time I had problems too, but it was a fault of me (sorry, can't remember what I did wrong)...

CU, Acki

Post by Guest »

in sample i only see use 3ds file with only one texture and i see
in ISceneNode::setMaterialTexture Function only set texture if id < 2
i need to know...
how can i code to use 3ds file with 4 texture?
if can,which program use to edit 3ds file ( can i use 3dsMax 6?)

Code: Select all

scene::IAnimatedMesh* mesh = smgr->getMesh(
		"../../media/room.3ds");
smgr->getMeshManipulator()->makePlanarTextureMapping(
		mesh->getMesh(0), 0.008f);
scene::ISceneNode* node = 0;
node = smgr->addAnimatedMeshSceneNode(mesh);
node->setMaterialTexture(0,driver->getTexture("../../media/wall.jpg"));
Acki

Post by Acki »

You don't have to load the textures separatly with 3ds files !!!
Irrlicht loads all nessesary texture files of the 3ds mesh !!!
Just load the mesh and be sure all textures are in the same folder !!!
Texture files have to be in old DOS style (8 letters bevore dot and 3 letters after dot: e.g. texture1.bmp) !!!

That's all !!!

CU, Acki

Post by Guest »

can u tell me why SpecialFX sample MUST have this line ?

Code: Select all

node->setMaterialTexture(0,driver->getTexture("../../media/wall.jpg")); 
and i want to know what i need to setup 3dsMax to export 3ds file too.
thank
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

There is a post on the advanced forum about 3DS meshs taking up huge amounts of memory, the more complex it is, so be careful. Monitor the memory usage of your program, with the task manager in windows (ctrl+alt+del)

It's a bug (well, more an inefficiency) that Niko is working on. He's starting with .X files though, since he considers them the most important (and they are - they can do everything a game needs).
So use .X files if you can.
puh

Post by puh »

Domarius, you probably misunderstood something. Homer wrote here
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... ry&start=0 that changing to .x nothing changed (330MB vs 300MB).
By the way - in my programs I use .3ds and I've never noticed the problems with memory consumption...
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Hm, thanks for pointing that out - but the reason I beleive that is because
Caecus wrote:Irrlicht also does nasty stuff to md2's. Check out hellow world example it uses over 20 megs of memory for a 500k file.

The reason behind this is irrlicht is storing full vertex coords basicalyl for every frame (along with normals). The md2 format itself cuts out a lot of this and uses scalers and such to make each vert only 3 bytes. Irrlichts verts end up being more like 20 I think.
So it sounds like a problem that affects all files, and nobody's noticed cause they either haven't been looking at the memory usage, or haven't reached a stage in their project development that they start loading really complex models.

I'd like to know for sure though, but I'm suspecting that its a problem that affects all files for the moment.
puh

Post by puh »

Right. Hope niko will optimize all stuff when Irrlicht will be about ver. 1.0 8)
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Well, Irrlicht was at v0.5 I think when it's year birthday come up, so if Niko keeps that rate up then he's got plenty of time to optimise the engine.