shadow

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
punto

shadow

Post by punto »

Hi, Im new in Irrlicht,and I want to ask some quesion:

1.Does Irrlicht support shadow mapping?
2.Can I create shiny material with Irrlicht (like a metal ball) ?
Jedive

Post by Jedive »

1. Yes. BSP maps use shadow mapping (also called lightmapping). For other file formats, which does not support 2 sets of texture coordinates, I have made a request that would make this a lot easier: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... php?t=2342

2. You should be able to enable specular lighting with SMaterial::SpecularColor and SMaterial::Shininess, but I haven't tried it.
puh

Post by puh »

Jedive

Post by Jedive »

Ahh I thought he was talking about specular highlights when he said shiny. The sphere mapping is not very good implemented yet. There is also planar mapping (the different reflection material types).
BradB

Post by BradB »

I think shadow mapping & BSP light mapping are two very different things. BSP lightmapping is pre-compiled for static BSP scenes, where shadow mapping is a technique for generating dynamic shadows. The BSP lightmapping is trivial & is just a multitexture, shadow mapping is harder & requires a scene render per light.

Irrlicht supports shadows, but I don't know what technique it uses.

Brad
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Stencil buffer technique? If that is a technique.
I know it draws the shadows on the last pass, because when I have my 3D game glasses on, anything that is actually 2D appears level with the screen, and in the Irrlicht demos with Shadows on, everything has depth, except the shadows are printed flat on the screen - which tells me they don't actually exist in the 3D world.