A Irrlicht Begginers Manual

Discuss about anything related to the Irrlicht Engine, or read announcements about any significant features or usage changes.
dejai

Post by dejai »

not

That manual may be considered latter.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

here's my idea for a better layout:

1. Introduction
Introduction to what Irrlicht is, what an API is, etc.

2. Getting Started
2.1 Setting up your IDE
Bunch of links to compiler setup instructions
2.2 The Tutorials
Optional reading. Summary of and links to each tutorial.
2.3 Reading the freaking manual
A step by step guide to reading the doxygen help, with pictures and links. Required reading.

3. Understanding Irrlicht
At this point the user is expected to have read/played the tutorials and can read the docs, so link to the api reference and tutorials where relevant.
Introduce each namespace
3.1 irr
IrrlichtDevice, SEvent, etc
3.2 irr::core
f32, s32, etc. vector, matrix...
3.3 irr::scene
scene manager and nodes, animators, meshes, animated meshes, skinned mesh
3.4 irr::gui
env, elements, fonts...
3.5 irr::video
driver, textures, materials...
3.6 irr::io
files, xml, serialization...

4. Hacking Irrlicht

4.1. Compiling from source
4.1.1. You will need...
4.1.2. IrrCompileConfig.h
4.1.3. SVN
4.1.3. Working with Patch Files

4.2. Extending Irrlicht
4.2.1. Making Scene Nodes and animators
4.2.2. Custom materials
4.2.3. GUI and skins
4.2.4. Adding new file formats
4.2.5. Writing IrrEdit plugins

A. Glossary
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
dejai

Post by dejai »

Hmm, the purpose of the manual is to provide an alternative to the documentation. I like your idea and a how to read the documentation etc needs to be / will be added/
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

I agree with bitplane, it looks pretty scary now. Think of a new user seeing all those topics and thinking to himself "Man there is too much information it would take me who knows how much time to read it all..".
It going in a direction of a book but it should be dynamic, short and summarized. This way when a new user finish the introduction
bitplane wrote: 1. Introduction
Introduction to what Irrlicht is, what an API is, etc.

2. Getting Started
2.1 Setting up your IDE
Bunch of links to compiler setup instructions
2.2 The Tutorials
Optional reading. Summary of and links to each tutorial.
2.3 Reading the freaking manual
A step by step guide to reading the doxygen help, with pictures and links. Required reading.
He will begin working with code and trying stuffs and wont work blind with a "booky" manual. Like someone said here, this is the point of wiki..
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I actually much prefer this method. I think all the data there possibly is should be there for the user to use as he/she pleases. I hate when information is few and sparse between. Currently I like the layout, possibly because I like how books are structured.

Also, dejai, if you want someone to proofread the tutorials for you, I can. I have been noticing some mistakes which are not a big deal, but could be corrected.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
dejai

Post by dejai »

Go for it is a Open Book, lol sorry for the pun.
roguelike

Post by roguelike »

A Irrlicht Begginers Manual

..is it a good idea getting beginner's to write a manual in the first place?

Especially as it should be 'An' and 'Beginner's'

Don't think I'm being too picky or pedantic either as the manual itself is littered with such errors.

The style is too personal and opinionated for a piece of technical writing, and the first page at least, rambles and meanders around with no real purpose or direction.

There are other annoyances as well, the word Irrlicht is mentioned 89 times on the first page alone, which in itself is too distracting, (for me at least) to concentrate on the content.

The idea is extremely good, however the execution is definitely lacking. (for the moment at least)
________
Love Advice Advice
Last edited by roguelike on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bitplane
Admin

Post by bitplane »

I couldn't agree more.
I've been considering rewriting large sections, but I fear that if I make the chagnes I'd like to then I'll offend dejai, who will give up, and then I'll be responsible for the whole thing. If I make small edits then I'm still putting my name to what's there, which is presently pretty undesirable. I don't have time to write a whole book at the moment either.
What we really need is a technical, egoless team to organise and write the content, and lots people to proofread and test it. Who wants to write a book though?
Submit bugs/patches to the tracker!
Need help right now? Visit the chat room
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I would like to write a book, if it was a serious attempt, and planned out fairly well. Otherwise it would be very undesirable.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

I think shouldn't call it as "Beginner Manual". The front part may be easy, but the latter parts look more advanced. Maybe just call it a "Complete Irrlicht User Manual"? Can be made into a book after done. Sell it to raise fund so that niko can spend more time on Irrlicht. XD
Cardinal4

Post by Cardinal4 »

It looks kinda better now I think, done up a bit on the formatting of Chapter 1.
Sketches of a rambling mind
Still a long way on learning Irrlicht...
dejai

Post by dejai »

The whole introduction was written within 1 hour with very little planning, it was mainly in an attempt to provide a stimulus or snow ball effect into which the community may then improve it. Thanks to the person who has fixed the pages up I really appreciate it.

Now onto other matters. You are completely right. The writing and literacy was written by me a beginner with almost no experience with the engine. If you read the very first paragraph I at least originally that I am technically not capable to write this manual. Its up to the community to get involved behind the idea, that is why I constructed this popular thread. Irrlicht is a great engine and I love the people within the community and the quality of the free engine.

I do what I can for the manual and the editor who put my name in bold that is very nice but really, what have I done written a bunch of as you say a bunch of one sided views that do not provide a medium in which for the manual to be viewed in. This can be explained and I will do so to for fill the communities and humanities greatest strength curiosity.

The reason I have written the manual in such a way is due to the tedious and dry way in which most technical manuals are written. Due to the introductory part of the manual I wanted to make it at least seem attractive. Ah I know you may think not to judge a book by its cover but many people will not read past the second paragraph is it is horribly dry reading. The second reason I wrote it in such a way was due to the documentation which details and scrutinize almost every technical aspect in which may be wished to be seen by anyone. If the reading of the documentation does not lead to the full satisfaction in which may be enjoyed by the reader than they can download the source and read and edit to their hearts desire.

Now I am glad to see the community whom are starting to get involved, I had to give you a couple nudges and I am still wondering why a community of such high prestige has a barren wiki. Anyway I hope to continue to detail the manual, but I would really prefer if you the community did it I have not spent the time you guys have with the engine. I am in year 9 for that matter, with my finals only just coming to a end so for all you older folk or more mentally inclined about the subject I implore you to go have some fun pulling the technical knowledge out of your head. You will remember 85% of it that way or so statistics show.

Enjoy

Note, I am sorry I just wanted to start something and for you to enjoy it. Hehe I accept criticisms, my bad for all the spelling stuff. And I will try a lot harder in the future.

p.s
Wow I hate speaking formal, its so toffy. And don't attack those whom do try if you do not attempt to find a solution.
dejai

Post by dejai »

Didn't see your bit bitplane I am a noob Go Nuts edit it thats my motto Its the community not my thing Your way more experienced if anything I look up to you and hybrid niko etc. and if anyone should have the right to edit the manual its you. Its completely open for editing. I just wrote some cr(can we swear) to fill in the space to encourage people to edit it.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

Anyway good job dejai, you've started a nice manual. I hope I was good in Irrlicht and able to contribute something to the manual... :cry:
GameDude

Post by GameDude »

Maybe turning the book into an ebook might be good as well