Tools to export to a .pk3

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
Halifax

Tools to export to a .pk3

Post by Halifax »

I was just curious, but is .pk3 really just a .zip with an extension changed to .pk3? Or is there a special program I should use to package my models into the .pk3?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
psyco001

Post by psyco001 »

nope
there is no special program it's only a .zip with changed extension and without compression
Last edited by psyco001 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP

Post by JP »

I think there are tools that package it all up properly as it probably has to have a specific folder structure etc (though you can probably do that yourself if you look at a proper .pk3 and just copy it).

Just look up Quake 3 map building on google and you'll probably find the usual toolchain used by mappers.
Image Image Image
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

while learning to map for rtcw I never saw any pk3 tools.. it doesn't matter for irrlicht so why do you care anyways?

use a batch file to convert it to pk3 if yer lazy.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

I just like the fact of using a .pk3...is there anything wrong with that?

@JP: Cool, thanks.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
thojoh370

Piece of cake

Post by thojoh370 »

No, it's nothing wrong with that. It's your project, so you decide what methods and file extensions you want to use, as well as what game engine you want to use ...

However; All you need to do is basically to pack the files you want into a ZIP (as others have mentioned) and then rename the extension to PK3. Use the same thing, in reverse, to get files out of the PK3 again.
Programmers don't DIE, they just GOSUB and then RETURN.