Good WIP and Demos

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
HokutoTC

Good WIP and Demos

Post by HokutoTC »

Hi,
I'm considering to give IRRLICHT a go... and choose this engine over other ones avaialble. On paper Irrlicht looks cool!

but when I look at the tech demo it looks Crude.
and looking at Links to user projects I can only see pretty basic stuff, I guess like me most people is just learning...

Does anyone know of some completed project/game or really good demo or Work In Progress that shows off some godd quality stuff? Maybe some DX9 feature implementation in a project based on this engine

thanks
HokutoTC
Tyn

Post by Tyn »

Graphics are graphics m8, don't judge an engine on the face of others graphics. Make your own or find a test BSP map, then test it in a number of engines to find out the graphics quality. The engine is only a year old and most peeps on here are programmers, not modellers. You can create some really great graphics with the Quake 2 engine and some really poor graphics with the Unreal engine.

What's crude about this guys graphics? Noone is going to create Doom 3 with an engine not produced by a ( paid ) army of programmers.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/ ... sc&start=0
LordNaikon

Post by LordNaikon »

i fully agree
q|^.^|p beeing every time friendly to everyone
sys: 2500+Barton 512MB 6600GT WinXP
ZDeveloper

Post by ZDeveloper »

I think that this picture is one of the best pictures of games which are developing with Irrlicht. But the Engine is only one year old. When Irrlicht get stable Version, the nummer of project will grow. I know some people who don't use Irrlicht because it has a lot of bugs and other problems.
But I hope when Irrlicht gets stable version all things will change. less bugs and more perfomance ;)

EDIT: Sorry for my bad english.
Look at http://www.z-software.de for interesting games.
HokutoTC

Post by HokutoTC »

HI, thanks for your reply.

Yes I agree that someone grphics is better or worst than others...
And I'm sure mostly is programmers checking out engines and they may not have access to quality art assets.

I was just asking in case there was actaully someone or a team with good pogramming/artistic skills already using Irrlicht and with something to show.

But you are right... the best way is to test it by yourself with your own or your choosen art assets...

I jsut downloaded Irrlicht and I'm only a beginner... so it will take some time before I can figure thigns out and have somethig on screen... if and when I do that I will post some test results :)

thanks again
HokutoTC
LordNaikon

Post by LordNaikon »

HokutoTC wrote:
so it will take some time before I can figure thigns out and have somethig on screen...

HokutoTC

NO, that is the beautiful at irrlicht! you have fast good results
ZDeveloper

Post by ZDeveloper »

LordNaikon wrote:
HokutoTC wrote:
so it will take some time before I can figure thigns out and have somethig on screen...

HokutoTC

NO, that is the beautiful at irrlicht! you have fast good results
hm I don't think so.
You have fast any resultes, but if you want good resultes then you need some time ;) I mean more than only some object placed in 3D space. :)
Look at http://www.z-software.de for interesting games.
LordNaikon

Post by LordNaikon »

yeeeeess thats right but as you said "You have fast any resultes"
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

I felt like posting a screenie here.

I'm very sattisfied with this engine's graphic quality.

To be such a young engine, it's very versatile. I wouldn't be surprised if the community gets bump mapping and per pixel lighting to work in it.

cheers!
mrbig

shaiders

Post by mrbig »

can't wait for shaiders then i could do a flickering light well... maby
y0 afecelis
your map is da s#!7 man
HokutoTC

Post by HokutoTC »

nice screenshot...

I can't wait to see an AVI or a demo to walk around your map with Irrlicht engine

Cool!
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

:D

thanks guys! I'm trying to learn as much as I can from the engine in order to get a decent demo up for download. But perhaps an avi would be possible meanwhile. I'll let you guys know.

thanks for the comments, it would be great if other users posted more screen shots o ftheir wip.

cheers!
mrbig

a map

Post by mrbig »

here is a map i just started working on
Image[/b]
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

great mrbig!

thnx for posting work. It's nice to see what people r doing.

What did you use to create it? r those lights lightmapped from your editor's compiling process or are they lights placed in Irrlicht?
Is that bumpmapping I see on your ceiling? Are you coding it?

try reducing the light value to give it a more "misteryous" atmosphere. It reminds me of some corridors in HalfLife.

good job, kudos!
Unarekin

Post by Unarekin »

Reminds me of a disco floor!