Something that could help

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
schick

Something that could help

Post by schick »

I was working on a FPS game. Had a fast startup but then some "more important" thing catched up. Well, so far so good. Here is what i got finished:

A basic physic environement based on newton. I like the design pretty much, could be a good starting point for any application that will use Irrlicht and a physic engine. I had a problem with the OnDestroy event and joints are not implemented. The OnDestroy event sould be solved with a quick post in the newton forum, the joints stuff is something i will work if i get some sparetime :-(.

Some cool SceneNodes a explosion node (you may want to add a SizeAnimator here, will look much better). Furthermore some other things, that may be good for a look at.

The last thing i was working on was the player class with its armament but the design i used to have was bad. Ill do something better (in my sparetime :-)).

So how is all the stuff supposed to work. Well, you can have a look at the docu directory there is a doxygen generated documentation.

Short explantion:

There is a physic manager and some nodes. Each node can un/register itself to the physic manager and is now affected by physics and receives all the events coming from the physic manager. There is also a nice material setup you might want to have a read through, its quite powerful.

If you have any questions about the source send me a mail Friedrich.Schick@web.de or post it as a answer to that thread.

Be sure to have the newton and the irrlicht sdk installed.

Here is the download http://www.bluffel.de.vu/files

It will probably take 30 minutes from my post until you can download the file, due t-online my provider.
Please send me an e-mail instead of a private message.
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

very interesting!!!

Newton seems like a nice and easy to integrate physics engine. I am reading some tutorials right now.

Is it open source?

I see there's a free version (old) 1.22. Unfortunately there's no link to download it. Do you know where I can get it?

The latest version 1.51 is being used in 3dgamestudio.

interesting, thanks for pointing it out.

ps. I'll download your files when they're ready.
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Hi schick, i'm happy that you still working on coengines.
I found your work very useful. I saw the classes in helpfile, and can to say, that there many useful things.
Unfortunately I use devcpp and have not MSVS net.
I'll try to compile your sources with devcpp. You said, that usually not uses MFC :wink:

afecelis, here is the link for newton sdk, but only v 1.2 is free /not sure/
http://www.physicsengine.com
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Hi schick,
I've trying to compile your sample with devCpp an MSVisualC++6, but always get linker errors with co classes.
Can you explain, how to setup your classes?
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

The problem was solved.
I forgot to include some files in project.
Now coEngines runs with VC++6 and DevCPP.
And now is time for me for reading of help file :P
afecelis
Admin

Post by afecelis »

etcaptor:

there's no active link for downloading it. Have you got a copy?

thnx!!!
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I think thats schick's link is still active:

http://jens.schick.bei.t-online.de/file ... source.rar

He uses MSVStudio net.
I hope, that he will continue your work. :wink:
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Schick,
Something about 3th person camera with your classes?

By the way for ICoFireExplosionSceneNode, I get 'ICoFireExplosionSceneNode' : undeclared identifier,
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

Schick,
I found that ICoOctTreeSceneNode not works properly with q3bsp compiled map. When testmap->registerCoNode() is started, application crach.

I assume that is some related with function create CoStaticMeshNode() in IcollisionNode.cpp. Any comments?
etcaptor

Post by etcaptor »

I found that this happend when some bsp texture are missing, or any bsp texture folder is missing :idea:
buhatkj

small change to make it compile...

Post by buhatkj »

heya schick, very impressive, a neat idea making the character themself be affected by physics.
I had to make one small change to get it to compile with the latest version of the Newton SDK available from newton's site.

in ICollisionNode.cpp i had to change this:

Code: Select all

//i think what this is meant to do is to remove the object from simulation if it stis still too long, im guessing 60 frames sitting still is enough (1-2 seconds??)
		//i had to cerrect this function call because the interface for this feature seems to have changed since whichever release of newton the original guy was using
		NewtonBodySetFreezeTreshold( CoBody, /*freeze_accel_mag, freeze_alpha_mag,*/ freeze_speed_mag, freeze_omega_mag, 60); //60 is a guess

after that it compiled and worked normally (i t//hink anyway....seemed to)

thought that might be somewhat useful...
-Ted
My irrlicht-based projects have gone underground for now, but if you want, check out my webcomic instead! http://brokenboomerang.net
vermeer

Post by vermeer »

"a neat idea making the character themself be affected by physics"

woah

hmm...as the x blender exporter gets a bit better, I PERHAPS will be able to rig my arena model there and export as x weighted. For the whole comunity. :)

yesterday I made another test, using the wonderful "paint weights" feature of Blender.

physics in characters...is it ragdoll? or newton physics..
Finally making games again!
http://www.konekogames.com