Editor (First King, tool) UPDATED: 29/07/2008

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
dejai

Post by dejai »

Hello Christian,
I have been examining this project as well as your First- King project for quite some time now. I saw the Anubus guard model on your youtube channel which was very well done. I have made this reply because I wanted to support the project in some way. I have made a small website 2 .html files for you as you are a bit to busy to update your source forge site. I have also made a script for a installer for FKEditor that comes in 20 or so languages. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

http://irrlicht.dejaigames.com/download ... ts/Clavet/

Cya around.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
christianclavet

Post by christianclavet »

Wow. Thanks Dejai!

I effectively didnt had time to update the web space for it. Your design now replace the web page I had. I just modified it a little.

For the Editor, I update it very often, having an installer is great, but this require too much time to maintain. For now, I'll stick with only the ZIP.

If you'd like to update the Editor with an installer I'd be happy to put a link on it.

Thanks again.
dejai

Post by dejai »

Onces its out of its early development I will release an installer for each stable release. I will do the same for first king :D

Thanks for the feed back.
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
christianclavet

Hi, Updated again the Editor. (It's now an editor since it CAN now save.. :) )

So we will be able from now on, to add characters in this editor and bring it back in IRREdit for other scene work. (This application is mostly designed for character work). It would be nice to know if someone is able to compile this on the Macintosh, since IRRedit don't exist on the Mac. This could give them a basic tool to create IRRscenes.

The editor does have a file selector like this (Filetypes icons, file filters):

An example scene created in the editor look like this:

An loaded back in IRRedit look like this:

Ok. There are some other things I will have to fix:

- Paths. The application path is the reference path for all.
- Scene path. A scene MUST be saved in the application folder or a crash could occur when loading it back (still investigating this problem)
- The objects and textures MUST be in the folders inside the application. Going outside (before, like the "..") the application path will make bad scenes files (path corruption)
- Lot of small details to fix...

I have would like to implement Normal/Specular maps inside the APPS, but my current setup (My video card is dead) cannot display shaders (GeForce4 MX integrated). I have to wait until I can have another system. (The AGP slot is broken also). I could start the implementation but would not be able to test it until this hardware problem is fixed.
Dorth

Post by Dorth »

You go girl!
Seriously, amazing work Chris ^^
Vsk

Post by Vsk »

Cristian for some reasono your editor don't let me open any file model, even the ones that for sure were opened with the irrlicht model viewer?.

What could it be?

The only message in your console is : "here is the ... "X" not loaded messh.. because it could not opend".

And the addreess that appear is cut, could it be that?, that you are using a short string for the complete paht? because I have enourmous absolute paths.

Any help.

And of course, amazing work and your videos on youtube are realy impressive, the ones that are animations are at the height of the best holliwood visual effect disigners!! congratulation.
christianclavet

Hi, VSK and everybody! :P

I had some little problem with it. Sometimes it give me that error. (single click seem to activate the load function, and it seem try to load a folder)

But I've not tested it on very long path. Can you try to put a simple folder near your root and try to load it from there?

If it work, then I will have to check that the path is stored in a longuer string. I display the path string in a right alignment because I want to see the path at least, in it last location.

The IRRlicht file loader use the left alignment, so with long paths you don't know where is the last path (You see from the root of your drive until it reach the end of the space)

Now for some news and updates on me and the project:
I am back to school now(Ubisoft Campus) I am in a modeling project (Teacher asked that we model a custom chess set, I deciced to build mine based on the '300' Spartan warriors (My second week in class). So it's very ambitious, and I'm at school 12 hours a day praticing a lot on modeling in 3DS. This project will be completed soon, and I will be back on the code (Less than before since I'm at school).

On the good side, one of the students in my class is checking the IRRlicht SDK and is willing to participate in my project as a coder (Been coding using the DARK SDK for some times and done some games projects). So we'll be 2 coding soon on that project. This project interested a lot of them in my class (Including the teacher). I could perhaps have others joining this year.. :P (We're 15 talented guys learning to be professionnal level designers)

Also, when I will have completed my training on 3DS (Should be in a month or so). I will start ALPHA phase 1 and start the modeling on the environnement.

I will have to learn how to use properly a "coding method" as the IRRlicht one. I had a good comment that the code is hard to read. I'm still learning myself how to code in C++ and OOP concept. Meanwhile, I apologize on those who had a hard time reading the code. (Some volunteer to clean it up to show me the proper way? :? )

David almost completed the warrior (Done a great job! :P ). He will rig the character, and will have some animation done. He's checked the movie '300' as I recommended him, because I want them to behave like spartan's warriors. (Buckle and spears). (some of them will have swords)

JP, is advancing on the IRRai engine and it support now pursuit and flee, I will try to incorporate the AI engine with some characters to check in end june, start of july...
pixeljunky

Post by pixeljunky »

The editor looks great ! Thanks.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Yeah this is a great editor. And since I really need an editor for my Mac, which isn't provided by irrEdit, I think I will compile this for Mac this tommorow. The only problem is that my compilation will only be for PPC Macs and not Intel Macs. :( So if someone else could possibly build a version for Intel Macs, then that would be great. If no one can, then I might be able to in some time once we get a Mac Pro, but that's in the coming 2 months, not anytime soon.

And by the way I agree that the code is quite messy, and not OOP. If you would like, I will also try to clean that up in the process tommorow. :D

Either way, great work christianclavet.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
christianclavet

If you do a version of Mac, I would like to put it on the sourceforge site so that MAC user can download it from there.

If you do some source cleanup, could you sent it back in a mail? So I could update the source.

Before a next release update, I would like to clean all the code (camera rig, and editor)

Thanks!
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

Yeah, no problem. I don't have a standard Mac white mouse though, so I don't know how that works. I use a USB mouse. But I am sure Alt+Arrow keys or something. That's just what I would do.

But anyways, okay, I will probably email you later tonight after I finish up, and make a post on here with some screenshots, etc.

EDIT:

Oh man, I'm sorry but I don't think I will be able to cleanup this source. I mean...I could, but I don't have the time. So I'm just going to compile it on Mac and leave it at that.

But seriously, there are so many global variable acesses, and the fact that almost 100% of the variables in the program are global makes it extremely hard to follow. I wouldn't recommend rewriting this, I would just rebuild it from the ground up. :?
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B
christianclavet

This source is not yet put all in includes (Only worked on Viewports that mostly is what is should be) The rest need to be cleaned up and I will do it myself (Since I'm the one that written it).

This could take a while. So no more NEW features will be added for a while. This need to be cleaned up so that we can add more "features" in the future.

For the MAC. In the present code, I'm using both mouse buttons and the mousewheel. Since the MAC is limited a lot in that area. I'm not sure it will be usuable if you don't have a third party mouse. If some MAC user could report. We could perhaps do something so that there is a replacement KEY to do the same actions.
randomMesh

Post by randomMesh »

christianclavet wrote:For the MAC. In the present code, I'm using both mouse buttons and the mousewheel. Since the MAC is limited a lot in that area.
Limited in which way? You can simulate 'right' button easily.

Btw: Soooo stylish :D
christianclavet

Can any Mac (Including the Mac Laptops) can simulate a mouse wheel? Most of the controls that are used in this editor depend on it for Zooming.
Halifax

Post by Halifax »

No the can't simulate a mouse wheel. And even some PC laptops can't simulate them. Basically applications usually just use +/- or Ctrl+/Ctrl- etc. At least that is how Blender overcame the limitation.
TheQuestion = 2B || !2B