irrb 0.4 (Blender Exporter)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

pc0de:

Is there a way of tapping into the subsurf levels and spew-out them out as LODs meshes?

With that, I think it is possible to get close to a simple LOD implementation.

I should be studying Blender scripting, instead of asking this lame question.
master_zion

anim

Post by master_zion »

have anim support?
pc0de

Post by pc0de »

spock - If you're thinking of using it as a part of another Blender script, then you may want to look at the Exporter class in "iExporter.py". As far as I can remember it's functionality is isolated from the irrb GUI. I'm not opposed to tweaking the script in order to supply what you may be looking for.

dlangdev - A while back I was thinking Blenders "Multires" feature might be nice for LOD meshes. I need to research subsurf modifiers vs. Multires.

master_zion - No, not yet. Started it and then got off on a couple of tangents... The current plan is to finish my Irrlicht related one-offs, update the irrb wiki docs for Blender 2.48a, and then focus on animation.
SwitchCase

Post by SwitchCase »

grats on this project - real nice thing for you to share with the irrlicht community, as mentioned in previous posts it'll surely help alot of other irrlicht projects out.
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Regarding multires, yeah I thought about that. Maybe I should look into that as well.

This is really nice, you just have __NO IDEA__ how great this tool is, don't ya?
pc0de

Post by pc0de »

Thanks SwitchCase.

I have an inkling dlangdev. But let's still keep it under the radar until 2.50 is released. :)
m3ltd0wn

Post by m3ltd0wn »

wow, this is a nice tool, i can make my whole map in blender now :D and export it to irrlicht ;)

who tried innerworld to create terrains in blender and export them to irrlicht?
m3ltd0wn

Post by m3ltd0wn »

hey there irrlicht community, after i've tried this blender script i was amazed what blender + irrlicht can do, also it seems more powerfull than any irreditor.

searching for some terrain generator scripts for blender i came across : blenderearth0.8 and ant landscape both verry powerfull, i'm using blenderearth0.8 since it can randomly generate vegetation.

now, a little workaround with this vegetation thing, blenderearth08 has a script called Arbres2.blend, if you open the file you'll see 10 different trees, you can modify them as you like, or make a custom script to add your home made trees or grass or whatever you like, after you finish all the terrain modelling thing, you can export the scene with irrb, and import it in your game, i must say i was impressed, smooth terrain and with vegetation on it :)

now second thing usefull for indies, blender has so called Discombobulator script, with it you can create vast cities ;) it is a little pain in the ass until you manage to learn how it works, but after that you can make awesome maps for irrlicht :)

and third thing, there is a script that can make cities also, but a little easier to use, it is called city block generator, i also used it with success in irrlicht, and it looks awesome :)

i'll upload the scripts as soon as possible so you can have what you need to create your own game level, easy and with no major headake :)

now some screenshots with a city getto ;)

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 651fs8.jpg

and in irrlicht (without textures)

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 657oz2.jpg
m3ltd0wn

Post by m3ltd0wn »

ok, so i've finished modifying blenderearth to add some rocks and some bushes, and made a nice little map using trees/bushes/rocks from WoW, then modified a little the code of irrb to set the texture flag to 'trans_alphach_ref' and to set the BackfaceCulling to False.

and all the scene opened in irrEdit looks like this:
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rthgo9.jpg
and:
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... th2kt9.jpg

:roll:

hope irrb will evolve, cuz it is a nice thing to have around irrlicht and blender :wink:
dlangdev

Re: reply

Post by dlangdev »

Nice. You've pretty busy working on that level map.

By the way, thanks for mentioning the method for turning off backface culling in irredit. I have no idea that can be done, though.
m3ltd0wn wrote:ok, so i've finished modifying blenderearth to add some rocks and some bushes, and made a nice little map using trees/bushes/rocks from WoW, then modified a little the code of irrb to set the texture flag to 'trans_alphach_ref' and to set the BackfaceCulling to False.

and all the scene opened in irrEdit looks like this:
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rthgo9.jpg
and:
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... th2kt9.jpg

:roll:

hope irrb will evolve, cuz it is a nice thing to have around irrlicht and blender :wink:
m3ltd0wn

Post by m3ltd0wn »

it can be done, it has a checkbox :) let me post you a screen shot:
http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ditor0.jpg

since i have more than 300 meshes on that map, setting manually the backfaceculling was a time consumming work, so i've edited the irrb scripts in such way that backfaceculling is disabled by default.. :D
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

Yup, that is the checkbox alright.

Yes, I remember pushing that slider 80 times just to set the material to alpha, that really wore me out. I don't wanna do it again. It's just too much hassle for me.

Again, I like the trees and terrain you made, perfect for a kids gameworld.
pc0de

Re: reply

Post by pc0de »

m3ltd0wn wrote:... then modified a little the code of irrb to set the texture flag to 'trans_alphach_ref' and to set the BackfaceCulling to False...
fyi - you shouldn't need to modify the irrb code to accomplish the above. Instead, give one of the Blender UV layers a name that matches the Irrlicht material type you want. In your case simply name it "trans_alphach_ref". You can find more information about setting up Irrlicht materials in Blender under Irrlicht Material Generation. Another example that sets up a transparent material can also be found here: Transparent Material

You may also turn off Backface Culling by mesh or face by selecting "Double Sided" for a mesh, or "Twoside" in the face options panel. Additional information is also located in the first link given above.
m3ltd0wn

Post by m3ltd0wn »

thanx for the advice pc0de, but my terrain is automatically generated, then as i told you some posts above, i have more than 300 meshes on my terrain :D imagine modifying one by one, materials and such :) it is a time killing operation, so i've changed a little the irrb script so that default settings for the meshes are backfaceculling set to false :)

10x again, i'll use your advice though :)

@dlangdev: the doodads from the map are exported models form world of warcraft, i'm trying to remake a battleground scene from WoW, with irrAI and newton :), i want it to be played on lan and with bots :) some kind of instant action ;)
dlangdev

Post by dlangdev »

pCode: it looks like you know Blender and Irrlicht DOM pretty well. I might send you some questions later, as I'm going to be studying and porting the lightmapper code over to Irrlicht. Just a heads-up on that.