irrb 0.4 (Blender Exporter)

Announce new projects or updates of Irrlicht Engine related tools, games, and applications.
Also check the Wiki
gabdab

Post by gabdab »

How do you clean an irrscene imported in irrlicht ?
[edit] This might work:

Code: Select all

IMeshCache *cache = device->getSceneManager ()->getMeshCache();
cache->clear ();
I am using this code, but irrmesh are kept in memory by the engine somehow (aka. not cleared) :

Code: Select all

core::array<scene::ISceneNode *> nodes;
smgr->getSceneNodesFromType(scene::ESNT_ANY, nodes); // Find all nodes

for (u32 i=0; i < nodes.size(); ++i)
	{
		scene::ISceneNode * node = nodes[i];

if(node->getID()!=-1)
			node->remove();
        }
hybrid
Admin

Post by hybrid »

Yes, meshes and textures are kept in caches, which have to be cleared if you want to get rid of them. Often it is desired to keep the meshes in cache and only remove the visible representation (i.e. scene node) from the screen.
gabdab

Post by gabdab »

I wish a dedicated Irrlicht debugger was available for such bad times ..
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

When will the Blender 2.5x version of irrb be out? I want to be able to use it for my game. Will it be soon? I'm trying to decide whether to write my scripts for 2.5x or 2.49 and need to know how soon this will be ready.
That would be illogical captain...

My first full game:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/3DModel ... tor#tipjar
pc0de

Post by pc0de »

3DModelerMan wrote:When will the Blender 2.5x version of irrb be out?
It's waiting on two things:

1. Blender Python API stabilization. For the most part it's in pretty good shape however, there are still adjustments being made. A Blender update a couple of weeks ago prevented irrb from even loading...

2. Finish animation integration. Once that's done, we'll need the Irrlicht gurus to review/approve/update the .irrmesh & .irrskel modifications I've made.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can can grab the latest 2.5x version at http://tubras.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tools/irrb/io_export_irrlicht.py and install it as a Blender addon.

I test/update weekly against Blender's trunk so you'll need a recent copy of Blender from graphicall.org, or build Blender yourself.
xDan
Competition winner

Post by xDan »

> we'll need the Irrlicht gurus to review/approve/update the .irrmesh & .irrskel modifications I've made

Oh my that sounds awesome 8)
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

2.57 rc came out the other day. You should use that since the script API is pretty much stable.

My first full game:
pc0de

Post by pc0de »

3DModelerMan wrote:2.57 rc came out the other day. You should use that since the script API is pretty much stable.
Like I mentioned, I frequently build and test against Blender's trunk.

irrb uses functionality listed in the unstable section and they aren't kidding when they say "any script written now may break in future releases". :)
pippy3

Post by pippy3 »

@pc0de Just ignore the people complaining about lack of 2.5 support. You're 100% correct in waiting till the API gets finalized.

The view "latest software version is the best" is immature and silly, especially with output focused software like blender.
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

pippy3 wrote: The view "latest software version is the best" is immature and silly, especially with output focused software like blender.
Except when the newest version has a user interface that's so much easier to work with.

My first full game:
pippy3

Post by pippy3 »

3DModelerMan wrote:
pippy3 wrote: The view "latest software version is the best" is immature and silly, especially with output focused software like blender.
Except when the newest version has a user interface that's so much easier to work with.
Using hotkeys in blender you'll be faster at modeling than any UI.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

pippy3 wrote:
3DModelerMan wrote:
the reason why i chose blender is the hotkeys. i can practically make models using only the keyboard. :)
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
pippy3

Post by pippy3 »

ChaiRuiPeng wrote:
pippy3 wrote:
3DModelerMan wrote: Except when the newest version has a user interface that's so much easier to work with.
the reason why i chose blender is the hotkeys. i can practically make models using only the keyboard. :)
He does have a point though, blender is a massive learning curve. Some people like UI.

I always use an IDE, but many like vi/emacs. While vi and emacs users are faster at writing code, gently caress learning that. I'd rather learn Chinese or memorize PI.

EDIT: ag I've spent way to much time online. I have to retort everything someone says. I need to stop arguing politics online.

Sorry about that.
ChaiRuiPeng
Location: Somewhere in the clouds.. drinking pink lemonade and sunshine..

Post by ChaiRuiPeng »

chinese seems more logical. it is english that seems to make no sense to me.

and you would want to memorize an infinite decimal? ha. forever is a long time :wink:

but yes humans are more visual creatures so it is more natural to use a UI than hotkeys, but there are exceptions to those who prefer the latter
ent1ty wrote: success is a matter of concentration and desire
Butler Lampson wrote: all problems in Computer Science can be solved by another level of indirection
at a cost measure in computer resources ;)
3DModelerMan

Post by 3DModelerMan »

Yeah, I prefer a combination of both. The paint tools are mostly what I like about the new Blender version. They've gotten a big improvement. But then I never even bother with the transform manipulators when I can just hit G, S, or R to do stuff way faster.

My first full game: