The Best Part of Application Development

Discussion about everything. New games, 3d math, development tips...
RustyNail

The Best Part of Application Development

Post by RustyNail »

The best part of application development is when you find out that it is critically flawed, and needs to be totally rewritten... Especially when that moment comes when you are presenting the app... And the best thing is that 5 minutes before that moment, the program was working perfectly... And then 5 minutes later, my 3D Engine became a 2D Sprite engine... And all I did was re-build it.... :roll:
What Fun. After that, I Shift-Deleted the program, and started re-writing it from the ground up... :lol:
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
JP

Post by JP »

Well it's sod's law that something will always go wrong during a presentation :lol:

If there was a fundamental flaw then it seems your design process should have picked it up, but i assume you didn't do one of those, so you've only got yourself to blame ;) heh

I'm really bad at doing designs too... as are most programmers i should think, much more fun to get stuck in with some actual coding but in the long run it costs you more time!
Image Image Image
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

I don't really know where the *original* problem came from, only that it had to do with textures and that it caused some models not to be shown at all...
:? And the best thing is - it ONLY showed up when built with MinGW for WIN32... Compile under Linux - Voila! works perfectly...
with Visual C++ EE - Voila! Works perfectly...

But what the problem lead to, when I found it... (not fixed it, mind you) is that on the next build all my models, except 1, were flattened out. So instead of a 3D engine... I ended up with a srpite engine... :lol:
I have recently discovered that both the Flu and my Algebra teacher have exact the same effect on my health: it quickly degrades.
night_hawk

Post by night_hawk »

RustyNail wrote:But what the problem lead to, when I found it... (not fixed it, mind you) is that on the next build all my models, except 1, were flattened out. So instead of a 3D engine... I ended up with a srpite engine... :lol:
Screenshot please? I would realy like something like this as a feature :D
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

Sorry, I formated my flash drive, and killed all my backups... :oops:
I was Angry... 8)
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

JP wrote:Well it's sod's law that something will always go wrong during a presentation :lol:
I shouldn't have read that line :lol: , I need to do two presentations of my engine in few weeks..
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
JP

Post by JP »

Well make sure you're thoroughly prepared beforehand and have a few working backups that you can revert to if you need to, and recompiling at the last minute is probably a bad idea, especially on a different platform ;)
Image Image Image
Cristian

Post by Cristian »

Good for you. At least you're finishing. :D BTW, how did you pass the mathematics and physics exams at your college?
JP

Post by JP »

wow... i just rebuilt the RPG Example from irrAI with an updated version of the engine and the faerie is now a 2D sprite XD

God knows what's caused that but i'm impressed i've managed to reproduce this error :lol:

EDIT: nope, it's gone now, thankfully :lol: What i had to do to get rid of it was clean the project and then recompile, maybe that was your problem?
Image Image Image
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

Cristian wrote:Good for you. At least you're finishing. :D BTW, how did you pass the mathematics and physics exams at your college?
With flying colors 8) :D == Lots of prays for luck :lol: (did had quite a lot :P )
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
dejai

Post by dejai »

Jp you could say that taking more time with no design and fixing complex problems makes you a better "programmer" just a worse "developer". :D
Programming Blog: http://www.uberwolf.com
Yoran
Site Admin

Post by Yoran »

Loved this post :D
JP

Post by JP »

dejai wrote:Jp you could say that taking more time with no design and fixing complex problems makes you a better "programmer" just a worse "developer". :D
That's a fair point :lol:

If you're going into the industry i guess you may well be a programmer and not a designer so you get told the design and just have to implement it but i would think that design skills would still be important as the designers may not be very good programmers so might overlook certain things that you have to cater for.
Image Image Image
RustyNail

Post by RustyNail »

JP: heh, maybe that was my problem... but it's too late to think about it now :)

Anyway: I now have a clearly defined project: Make a Cube Clone :lol:
As if one needs many Cubes... I have until Friday to make an UML diagram of my planned engine... And then... Endless hours of thankless coding... and for what? to get a wimpy clone of Cube, delete it and start cloning Cube 2! :lol:
What fun.
Virion
Competition winner

Post by Virion »

As an artist, I would like to say... : "Programming is scary..." :lol: