problem finding lib file

If you are a new Irrlicht Engine user, and have a newbie-question, this is the forum for you. You may also post general programming questions here.
instinct

problem finding lib file

Post by instinct »

As i was trying out the very first tutorial it said i had to add the Irrlicht.lib file to the already existing libary list in visual studio. But after i had compiled(was OK) and built my project it returned an error saying the .lib file couldnt be found. I selected the 'irrlicht-1.4\lib\Win32-visualstudio' directorty. When i browse this map i do see the Irrlicht.lib file, but for some reason visual studio cant find it. It didn't say anything about the header file i added earlier, so i think this is kind of strange, i assume Visual has found it?.....Does anyone know what im doing wrong?
Oddmonger

Post by Oddmonger »

I usually use gcc, but if i remember well, you just have to include library on the cl command line.

Libraries which are not found don't return an error at the compilation stage. It's when linking than you get an error, if the library is not found by the linker.

Check these 2 things:
- Is "Irrlicht.lib" specified for linking ?
- Are you sure that "Irrlicht.lib" is in the path ?
MasterGod

Post by MasterGod »

In VC use:
#pragma comment(lib, "Irrlicht.lib")

and make sure your IDE knows where to look for this lib file.
Dev State: Abandoned (For now..)
Requirements Analysis Doc: ~87%
UML: ~0.5%
instinct

Post by instinct »

although i havent changed anything it works for some reason, but now VS cant find the irrlicht.dll file.....what do i have to do in order for VS to find it?
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

you have to copy Irrlicht.dll from your BIN folder where you installed irrlicht to where you have your debug and release .EXEs.

(That was a long sentence :mrgreen:)
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png
instinct

Post by instinct »

twilight17 wrote:you have to copy Irrlicht.dll from your BIN folder where you installed irrlicht to where you have your debug and release .EXEs.

(That was a long sentence :mrgreen:)
allright it works now! thx a lot!
twilight17

Post by twilight17 »

No problem :lol:
Post this userbar I made on other websites to show your support for Irrlicht!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1261 ... wernq4.png